April 28, 2024, 09:05:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: One and a half Observations  (Read 5259 times)

RoyOrbisonCS-80

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
One and a half Observations
« on: June 03, 2005, 07:58:41 am »
:?

Hi folks, I was going to post this on the User's community, but it is really not about tips and helpful hints, it's more about tech issues for me and trying to understand the new update...I also posted this on the Yahoo!groups forum.

So when we detune the voices, technically we can only detune 8 of them, not all 16?
How do you get to the other set of M cards? Also, how do we set the volume levels of all 16 oscillators to be the same? I notice my CS-80 does this too, so it's a nice touch, but this is just too real for comfort!

The term "Mod" on the Ring Modulator section has been replaced with >M<

I must need my eyes examined because I can't find out how to turn the Ring Mod on. There's suppposed to be an On/Off switch for this, but I can't find it (as described on the update page: http://www.arturia.com/en/cs80/cs80v15.php )

Also when you go up to the top bar and click on "Help" and then "About CS-80V" a list of credits is diplayed. On the older version, up to version 1.2, there used to be an OK button, and close to that a "Thanks to" list that was displayed along the bottom. Now I don't see the button and maybe just a few hairs of print on the "Thank you's". Is anyone else experiencing this? I think Max said he could see all the text in this box, and the button (?).

I thought if I totally uninstalled the software and just load the 1.5 as a fresh installation that it would fix the bugs.  I exported the banks and presets that we've got from this group and the 7 from Arturia (well, now there's Jean-Michel Blanchet's new set which makes 8 banks) and saved them in a folder so I could import them back in. That went over without a hitch, but my three issues still stand unresolved, four counting if my eyes really need to be checked out  :wink: .

BTW the preset of Jean-Michel's "CS_Talking" from the new set is really innovative. Check it out!

Other than that I am happier now with the Chorus, it's much, much closer to the original beast. Yes!

Let's hear your comments,
Thanks,
ROCS-80

omissis

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:32:48 am »
About the "Thanks" window I was wrong, it's chopped at the bottom of mine window too but I  wouldn't mind so much, the same thakyous you can find on the manual!!! :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

RoyOrbisonCS-80

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 01:56:50 pm »
Grazie, Max

I feels sorta stupid right now, because I found out about the on/off button when I listened to Jean-Michels new ring mod patch... the answer presented itself when the >M< lit up.  So one mystery solved (click on the >M<).
Something else came up, which I'll have to verify on the original instrument: PWM does NOT affect the Saw tooth wave on the CS-80. It is only linked with the Square wave on the original. I'm talking about the Speed control for the PWM. If it's set above 0 it's going to affect the Saw tooth on the V. This isn't the way the signal is routed on the orig.

Max also PM'd me about the M Cards and this is what he had to say:
The synth is made basically of 8 instances of a monophonic "CS-80" card which is made by two oscillators rather than one as on the M boards for what it seems also by looking at the Multi mode so I think they should have been revolutionizing the whole project ( even more, as you know, the KAS randomly addresses voices so playing a two-vco sound would have meant : M1+ M4, M7+M3 etc....oh, well, it would be really hard if it was like this and Xavier would go nuts definitely!!!!!

Well Max, it is a sort of randomization on the original but usually I notice cards 1-7 will fire off in sequence, and to get card 8 to fire you have to get card 7 to play and hold it down (don't release the key) and the next oscillator to fire will be card 8. This is the way the KAS board was set up.

Arturia support has emailed me about the "Thanks to" information being chopped off. This may not be a problem for Mac owners. They're get back to us on that one.

I'll go back to my corner now, and maybe I can stay in the club.
Tommy

omissis

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 02:28:39 pm »
Tommy!

The M-boards example is a very abstract example to show how KAS works, I know rather that voice cards on the CS-80 do a rotation when the gap between notes is under 170ms ...again a reproduction of the M-board circuitation would compromise the Multi mode in my thought as I personally think the design on the V was tied to build 8 "dual" cards rather than 16 one-vco cards...personally I won't complain  like hell for this, consider also that to have  the M-boards architecture would need to put out 8 more "trimmers" which could possibly put a non-sacred fan into a confusion, anyway your observation is good!!!
A presto!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Z

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:30 am »
Can I add a wish to the upcoming 1.5.01  :wink:

A 'randomize' button for detuning all voices at once on the voice board would be nice, especially with a level knob so detuning could be subtle or wild.
--

Brought to you by The Letter Z

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines