March 28, 2024, 05:50:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer, arp and matrix arp improvements  (Read 4959 times)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Sequencer, arp and matrix arp improvements
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:02:31 pm »
Although some of these have been mentioned elsewhere, I gather them here for visibility and discussion. Some of these are already on the MB2S, and the flagship shouldn't be behind in useful sequencer features:

- Sequencer: Edit and display notes. Display notes on the patch number display, when playing or selecting a step and when holding a Step button and turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the note value for the step.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Hold Accent button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the velocity value for the accented step.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Hold Slide button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the gate length for the step, the Gate knob would then be a relative adjustment.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Ratcheting. Hold Step button and press 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32 for 1,2,3 and 4 repeats. When the Step button is held the division LEDs could light or flash to indicate the current setting.

- Seq, Arp and MxArp: Selectable end step repeat for the Fwd/Rev mode (System setting? Or better yet, per patch setting.)

- Sequencer: Ability to delay the next selected pattern until the current reaches its end (System setting?).

- Sequencer and MxArp: Rotate the sequence. E.g. hold SEQ Length and press the Left or Right arrow buttons to rotate by one step.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Ability to activate Seq/Arp for mod only. So you can hold a note and it will run through a modulator sequence (simply enabled  by not entering any notes?).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:31:24 am by DrJustice »

Alexandrejoe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • https://soundcloud.com/alexandrejoe
Re: Sequencer, arp and matrix arp improvements
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:22:33 pm »
Good ones !

I would also add the followings :

- Sequencer : Selectable start step

- Sequencer : Copy / Clear / Paste a sequence from a step A to a step B

indiescore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:57:45 am »
very good and latch to beat quantize real time recording would be great

VAU

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »
i would suggest:

zoom possibility like 1 page per bar
(and at least 32 bars sequences)

then you could use the lower columns to draw in ratchets  and other things
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:44:34 pm by VAU »

standingwave

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:13:45 pm »
I would add:
 Ability to activate Seq/Arp for mod only. So you can hold a note and it will run through a modulator sequence.

Processaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:03:51 am »
Although some of these have been mentioned elsewhere, I gather them here for visibility and discussion. Some of these are already on the MB2S, and the flagship shouldn't be behind in useful sequencer features:

- Sequencer: Edit and display notes. Display notes on the patch number display, when playing or selecting a step and when holding a Step button and turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the note value for the step.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Hold Accent button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the velocity value for the accented step.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Hold Slide button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the gate length for the step, the Gate knob would then be a relative adjustment.

- Sequencer and MxArp: Ratcheting. Hold Step button and press 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32 for 1,2,3 and 4 repeats. When the Step button is held the division LEDs could light or flash to indicate the current setting.

- Seq, Arp and MxArp: Selectable end step repeat for the Fwd/Rev mode (System setting? Or better yet, per patch setting.)

- Sequencer: Ability to delay the next selected pattern until the current reaches its end (System setting?).

- Sequencer and MxArp: Rotate the sequence. E.g. hold SEQ Length and press the Left or Right arrow buttons to rotate by one step.

All very good, thoughtful suggestions.  If there was ONE thing I would like to see with the sequencer, is gate time, per step.  It would open up a whole new area, of musicality and groove.  As is, it is very mechanical feeling, which is cool sometimes, but other times it can be too simple and sound like a calculator.  Some people might want "micro timing", but to me, the ends of the notes changing in length affects the feel of musicality more.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:24:11 am »
...If there was ONE thing I would like to see with the sequencer, is gate time, per step.  It would open up a whole new area, of musicality and groove.  As is, it is very mechanical feeling, which is cool sometimes, but other times it can be too simple and sound like a calculator.  Some people might want "micro timing", but to me, the ends of the notes changing in length affects the feel of musicality more.
I agree. And to that end I've already submitted the following:

- Display the notes on the patch number display, when playing or selecting a step and when holding a Step button and turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the note value for the step.
 - Hold Accent button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the velocity value for the step.
 - Hold Slide button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the gate length for the step, the Gate knob would then be a relative adjustment.

I must remember to submit the rest too...

I would add:
 Ability to activate Seq/Arp for mod only. So you can hold a note and it will run through a modulator sequence.

Good one! I'll add it to the OP and submit it in my next ticket.

It's not quite the same, but in the mean time we can use a sequence with a single middle C that is tied over as many steps as you want.

Folks, remember to submit your tech support tickets to add your weight to bug fixes and feature requests! :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:30:14 am by DrJustice »

Alexandrejoe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • https://soundcloud.com/alexandrejoe
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:39 am »
Folks, remember to submit your tech support tickets to add your weight to bug fixes and feature requests! :)

YES PLEASE!

TheAndyMac

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 10:20:14 am »
Ratcheting is real need - looking at buying a MatrixBrute and this is something that really would be an omission from the built-in sequencer if it is not added. From what I have seen in v2 firmware, still not there (unless I missed something)

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 02:28:36 am »
Ratcheting is real need - looking at buying a MatrixBrute and this is something that really would be an omission from the built-in sequencer if it is not added. From what I have seen in v2 firmware, still not there (unless I missed something)
It’s possible if you use an LFO as your envelope. And 2.0 allows for custom LFO shapes so you can go well beyond standard envelope shapes. See the video I made for details. 

https://youtu.be/qdPJKqQtRwc

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines