March 19, 2024, 10:21:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi problem  (Read 7076 times)

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
Midi problem
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:44:01 pm »
This is my microfreak status when in midi control center, can someone please advise what settings should be used for the microfreak to stop on command from external gear, I've tried everything and nothing so far works?

https://flic.kr/p/2fNNwBt

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: Midi problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:13 pm »
HI Micro_Freq,

regarding your clock source, your picture shows it is set to "MIDI", meaning that it would require your Microfreak to be connected to external gear using Midi cable (with provided jack 3.5mm/din adapters)
of course your external gear is supposed to be able to send midi clock and start/stop messages, such as a drum machine or other stuff, and also requires to use it's internal clock.
So to verify this, activate the sequencer on the microfreak and experiment pressing play/stop on external device. Microfreak Seq play button should light up/shutdown accordingly.

Hope this helps,
cheers,

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
No It doesn't help one bit, that picture was only a snap shot of several configurations I made, nothing works! & Of course it's set to midi, I'm trying to get the microfreaks sequencer to 'stop' on command but what I'm repeatedly telling you is that nothing I change in the settings will initiate this!

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:12:27 pm »
Just to be clear: the microfreak will 'start' on command from external gear, it just won't stop!

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 03:51:33 pm »
ok understood. it's strange.
Could you please tell me more about the gear which would be the master clock here?
thanks,

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:07:21 pm »
ok understood. it's strange.
Could you please tell me more about the gear which would be the master clock here?
thanks,

Master clock is Roland MX-1 to another Roland MX-1 then >>Korg ES2> Roland Boutique TR-08>Roland Boutique TR-09>Roland Boutique SH01-A>Roland Boutique>JU-06>Roland Boutique JP-08>Roland Boutique JX-03>IK UNO Synth>Roland Boutique A-01>Roland Boutique D-05>Roland Boutique>Roland TB-3>Arturia Microfreak>Roland System 1>Korg Volca Sample>Korg Volca FM>Boss RC-202>Yamaha Reface DX>Arturia Keystep>Arturia BSP

Most of the above are midi direct from MX-1 [usb midi, aira, boutiques] some are chained midi in to out, two midi splitters are used and a Quadra thru midi splitter- I have used them this way with no problems for a considerable period of time, I have had the microfreak at the start of the chain in the middle of the chain and at the end of the chain, I have also tried it with singular pieces of external gear and still it won't 'stop' on command.

I have tried all of the sync modes from the midi center and from the microfreak utility, none of them make a difference, it still won't stop.
I think we have to accept at this point that the midi in this particular microfreak has in some way been compromised, I am returning the unit back to store tomorrow and won't be trying another unit until probably later in the year when this and the other problems I have mentioned are resolved, thanks for your time. I won't trouble you any more.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:10:09 pm by Micro_Freq »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:55:32 pm »
woah, impressive configuration!
ok, now that i know more about your setup, i have enough elements to investigate on this.
mmm... it seems some midi messages get lost in this kind of chaining.
Don't know if you already returned your unit, but on a "standard" midi synchronization between the microfreak and another device, i did not spotted any issue (yet)

anyway, thanks again for the details,
cheers,

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »
woah, impressive configuration!
ok, now that i know more about your setup, i have enough elements to investigate on this.
mmm... it seems some midi messages get lost in this kind of chaining.
Don't know if you already returned your unit, but on a "standard" midi synchronization between the microfreak and another device, i did not spotted any issue (yet)

anyway, thanks again for the details,
cheers,

Hi thanks, for getting back and yes, I now don't have the unit, it was picked up today by courier and is being returned for a refund.

Moho

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:34 pm »
Just tested on a Korg minilogue same issue, no issue on the Minibrute 2S, Keystep or Akai MPC Live
Only difference I can see is the Minibrute 2S, keystep and MPC all have a dedicated stop button rather than a play / stop play button as on the korg.

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:25:17 pm »
Just tested on a Korg minilogue same issue, no issue on the Minibrute 2S, Keystep or Akai MPC Live
Only difference I can see is the Minibrute 2S, keystep and MPC all have a dedicated stop button rather than a play / stop play button as on the korg.

I tried direct from my keystep, it still wouldn't stop the microfreaks sequencer.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 06:32:31 pm »
Hello !

About the MIDI Stop, we have already a version resolving this issue that we will most likely implement in the update as well.

Cheers

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 07:13:57 pm »
Hello !

About the MIDI Stop, we have already a version resolving this issue that we will most likely implement in the update as well.

Cheers

Edouard

This information is not of much use to me now, I've returned the unit, though it's good to know it wasn't a problem at my end, had Arturia been quicker to take responsibilty for this Microfreak mess I might have kept it a bit longer and waited for the firmware release...

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:11 am »
Hello guys.

Can you please confirm that this issue has been resolved by the latest update?

MicroFreak V 1.1.2

New features
Spice / Dice improvement: Now affects the envelope decay, release and matrix pressure value
Added program change support
Local control and external CC handling improvement
Real-time recording now enabled when starting the sequencer from the step-recording mode
Matrix amount reset now set to 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second

Bug fixes
Potentiometers stability improvement
MIDI start/stop handling improvement
CPU management and Sync improvement
Negative automation amounts now properly handled
Aftertouch + arpeggiator handling improvement
Real-time recording improvements
Song position pointer sync now preserved upon preset change when slaved
Preset browsing improvement in panel mode
Automatic sync source detection improvement
Parameters initialization improvement on power-up
Sequencer improvements in USB Sync
Arpeggiator to sequencer pattern transfer improvement
Real-time automation recording improvement
Gate length display now accurate
Step-recording display now visible when utility is enabled
Cycling envelope timing display now accurate
Step-browsing display is now refreshed when cycling through Mod slots
Matrix assign display improvements

Cheers

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

stereosign

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:50 pm »
I installed the latest firmware last night. Still having midi sync issues (microfreak as slave to the Boss RC-202). No problems with other gear just the Microfreak. Also whilst scrolling. It froze with an high pitched audio tone. Had to shut the synth off. Also the play, record buttons not fuctioning correctly with slave mode. Sorry Arturia, this synth i have to return it.
Macbook Pro with Catalina 10.15.7, Logic Pro X, Focusrite Scarlette 18i8, Arturia Microbrute, Drumbrute Impact, Microfreak, Roland System-8, JD-Xi, Korg Volca's, Boss RC-202 looper

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 05:05:37 pm »
Hi stereosign.

did you already contact our tech support team for your issue?
if not i'm interested to know more about your setup. Could you please give more details about connections and your specific use case?
From what you're describing, i suspect a midi loop somewhere.
can you confirm that on the microfreak in utility menu/midi/local control is set to off? one of the purposes of setting local control to off is to avoid midi loops.
Sorry you're encountering issues.

thanks,

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines