April 28, 2024, 08:24:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Chorus/Tremolo section  (Read 5064 times)

omissis

Chorus/Tremolo section
« on: April 30, 2005, 11:14:30 am »
Hi

I was stimulated by the msg posted by bg who was pointing something was going wrong within the effect section.
I went into the program to make a thorough examination of the effects and I had to realise that among the others , the Chorus circuit doesn't resemble the original at all. The original chorus unit sounded very "Chorus" :roll:  on the hard CS-80 ,giving drastic flanging effect at low rates , high amounts ( the best examples I can give are in UK's "Alaska" on the low C note especially or, from the same album, the pitch sliding part between "By the light of Day" and "Presto Vivace") , you can listen to a flanging wave under the pad , that is not related with VCO beats, that is how Chorus sounded ) . I think some improvement must be done this way :wink:  :!: .

What do you think about it?
Max

a CS-80Vist

RoyOrbisonCS-80

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Chorus/Tremolo section
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 09:37:16 pm »
Hi Max,
This is something myself and others here on the forum have pointed out. If Arturia can crack the code on this one it will be a major coup.:!:

You can also hear the Chorus effect kick in on UK's Danger Money on the title track where the chords are being bent down with the pitch ribbon at the song's intro and ending. It's a wobbly sound, and almost is a bit too deep even at its lowest setting, but it is so unique that nothing else sounds like it. Let's hope this is attended to in the next update.

ROCS-80

omissis

Chorus/Tremolo section
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 11:09:48 pm »
Hi ROCS-80!

I wrote to Xavier about it but unfortunately he couldn't give me any feedback until next monday....You all know what my feelings are about what could be improved, that is VCO tuning, Ringmodulator ( absolutely the most important thing to me ) and effects. It seems also that the Chorus gives the sound a darker blend by cutting some frequencies off, is it ? On the other hand is the Tremolo which gives the fake leslie effect to the sound, is it ? Anyway I'm looking forward for Xavier's reply.... :evil:

BTW: another example could be heard in Jobson , Zinc's "Resident"  :!:
Max

a CS-80Vist

FabP

Chorus/Tremolo section
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:34 am »
Xavier is working now on the chorus...
I heard it this morning and it begins to be pretty close to the original..
Fabrice PAUMIER
ARTURIA Marketing Manager

omissis

Chorus/Tremolo section
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:10:58 pm »
Actually I'm trying to catch some specific informations on Effect section from renowed CS-80 experts...anyway AFAIK the Chorus shouldn't be a hopelessly hard thing to emulate since on the original it was a BBD based circuit...that means it was built as a very short delayed copy of the original, and pitch modulated by a dedicated LFO ....the hard thing was at times to get a stereo effect on a mono machine as CS-80 was so even there Yamaha used a non conventional circuitation ( BBD-with modulation- and a 4 VCA intermediate stadium to get the stereo effect, then there was the reconversion into mono signal)....the good news about CS-80V is that it is a stereo synthesizer natively so the Chorus can be produced with not much hassle about it and leaving the Tremol its native effect, which is a simple AM-autopan modulation!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines