March 28, 2024, 07:57:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KeyLab MkII Hardware Version 3 (Swap Faders/Knobs And Pads Position)  (Read 3291 times)

Kevin.tt

Hi Arturia,

I have a request for the Keylab MKII.

Please design a unit (Hardware version 3) swapping the positions of the Faders/Knobs and Pads?
The current design has users crossing hands to make adjustments to the Faders/Knobs which is used way... more often than the Pads.

Anybody else agrees?

Not wanting to mention other manufactures but the M-Audio Code series design I think has a really great layout for the Pads, Faders and Knobs so the "work flow" is much smoother.

Thanks much
Kevin

fredmant

• Apprentice
Re: KeyLab MkII Hardware Version 3 (Swap Faders/Knobs And Pads Position)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:33:12 pm »
I like the pads on the right b/c I'm right handed, BUT with the Pads on the left and 'pad' mode, I could create chords and stab the pads with my left hand while soloing with my right. So, overall, I can move my chair and still make beats with my right hand, but I can't accompany myself if the pads are on the right :)

LoveEnigma

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:23 am »
I somehow agree with the OP. I also feel that M-Audio Code series (and Nektar Panorama series) keyboards have probably the best layout currently. Actually, I was looking at KeyLab MK1 today and it seems to have an excellent layout. Why was the layout changed so drastically?

For a keyboard, pads are not as important as keys. For pads, there are lots of other options.

And I am saying all this after I got KeyLab MK2 yesterday. I really love it, but this is one gripe I will have to live with.

carpetsquare

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 02:02:28 pm »
Having a left handed version and a right handed version would be awesome! I imagine it would drive up the production costs though. Personally I'd choose the "left handed" (switched pads and knobs) version even though I'm right handed as I agree with the original poster: the knobs and sliders are way more important than the pads.

Lovelight

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:02:28 pm »
And make the knobs have the same resistance, some are smooth and some have no resistance at all and can be turned by blowing at them, feels cheap.

carpetsquare

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:24 am »
A tip for tweaking the knobs/sliders while playing the keys: press Oct+ button twice so that the bass notes are 2 octaves to the right.

Then it's not all that much different to an Arp Odyssey or a Moog Prodigy that only has a 3 octave keyboard. I'd much rather have the knobs on the left and be able to use the full range of keys, but this workaround at least makes the knobs usable. Otherwise it's impossible to play a low C with your right hand while tweaking knobs with your left. Reversing hands is completely uncoordinated for me, but perhaps some people are ambidextruous enough.

Stilli

• Apprentice
Totally agree, knobs and faders should be on the left. Very difficult to play lead organ and tweak the drawbars at the same time.

HammyHavoc

• Apprentice
    • Hammy Havoc
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 06:20:34 am »
Yes, having them on the right is a poor design decision. Greater resolution faders too please.

mavck

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 03:13:02 am »
I love them the way they are now.
I would not buy a new KeyLab if they reverse the order.

Lince Pálido

• Apprentice
  • Home Studio Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 02:27:28 am »
After reading the thread I think they pads, knobs and faders are best where they are now, at least for me, either for live performances, sound design, mixing or mastering.

But is it too much to ask they behave as they should after so many years? This should be a mature product that I received yesterday and it is not. Please fix the firmware before anything else.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines