April 27, 2024, 09:24:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro / Clock in sync from Korg Volca  (Read 4040 times)

friscodisco

Beatstep Pro / Clock in sync from Korg Volca
« on: June 21, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »
Hi

I'm trying to sync my Korg Volca beats via "clock in" on the BSP. I've changed the clock rate to 2 PPQ in the Midi Control center (and tried all the others too) but the snyc doesn't work. I've also updated to latetest Firmware.
It works well when I don't use the midi in on the Korg. Maybe it's understanding problems on my side. Is it even possible to play the korg via the BSP over midi and make the Korg the masterclock via sync out?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Beatstep Pro / Clock in sync from Korg Volca
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:29:13 am »
How have you got your BSP and Volca connected?  What are sync setting are you using on the BSP and the Volca?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

friscodisco

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:47:19 pm »
It's connected with the 3,5mm jack cable from the volca. From Volca Sync out to BSP Clock in. The clock rate is set to 2 PPQ on the BSP.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
Have you set the sync setting on the BSP's top left-hand side to "clk"?  In theory if you set the BSP sync to Auto in MCC it should detect a sync signal coming in on the clock socket and switch to "clk" by itself, but try setting it manually to see if that works.
Also ensure that the Vbeats is set to send
Now, here's something you may not be aware of, but the clock signal doesn't send stop and start messages it just has a constant click track (so to speak) whether it's playing or not, so you can't use the Vbeats to master the transport controls.

I don't use the sequencer on my Vbeats and prefer to run it using the drum sequencer on the BSP via MIDI and use the sync out on the Vbeats to clock one of my Pocket Operators.  I still have press play on the PO's myself though.  "Sync" is a misnomer on Korg's behalf as it doesn't actually synchronise anything, it just provides a clock for later devices on the chain to run at the same tempo.  The only thing to that can actually synchronise the units is your fingers and timing.  Think of it like this: In cheesy spy movies they often use the line "let's synchronise watches".  As watches all run at 60sec/min, 60min/hr and 24hr/day, they are "in time" but if they are not reading the same time, the are not in sync.  In the spy shows, when they synchronise their watches, they are ensuring that their watches are reading the same time as each other, so that if they say "we need to be in and have breached the firewall by zero 5 hundred hours" they are all seeing 5am at the same time, not a minute or even a second out from each other.  Everyone might have beautiful hand made Swiss watches that run with perfect accuracy, but that is useless if they are all reading different times of day.
Same goes with timing in music.  Having a tempo to play at is useless if you don't have anyone to count you in, or in the case of electronically sequenced instruments, no way to tell which is the first beat of a bar.....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines