April 28, 2024, 10:55:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Recording when synced to DAW  (Read 4553 times)

Banquet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Recording when synced to DAW
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »
Hi all,

Just got the Beatstep Pro yesterday and so far managed to get it working in Cubase 9.5 pro in that it will play the 3 midi tracks assigned to the appropriate midi in and out. 

However, I am a little stuck on trying to use an external keyboard to play in some sequences.  It's hard to get the timing right when playing manually (and hard to correct off timing afterwards in Beatstep) so I would like to record a sequence to Cubase - then tidy it up a bit timing and note length wise, and then have the Beatstep Pro record the midi in from Cubase.

I can't get the MMC to work correctly for using Beatstep as master, so I have set it to slave and that seems to work.  However, when I press record and play on the Beatstep it waits (which is fine) until I press play in Cubase and then Beatstep Pro starts playing (which is fine) but the recording light GOES OUT so it is not recording.  I have have to then manually press record and of course if I miss the beat, the whole sequence is out of time so I am no further forward.  I just imagined pressing record and play when the Beatstep in slave mode it would wait for Cubase to play, and then start recording on beat 1 as Cubase plays from beat 1.  Is there any way I can set it to do this, or otherwise how do I record in sync? 

Thanks for any help and advice :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:51:57 pm by Banquet »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: Recording when synced to DAW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:43 am »
Hi Banquet,
I can't get the MMC to work correctly for using Beatstep as master
I never tried Cubase Pro 9.5, but previous versions did not allow slaving Cubase to Midi clocks (only MIDI Time Code), so it is normal you cannot slave Cubase to BeatStep Pro.

until I press play in Cubase and then Beatstep Pro starts playing (which is fine) but the recording light GOES OUT so it is not recording
I can see two solutions:
  • Avoid Cubase to Send MMC to BSP. You need to configure MIDI clock out only in order for Cubase to send MIDI clocks to BSP
  • If you use MMC, press Rec button on Cubase only, it will activate record on BSP. But you will also need to configure Cubase to send MIDI clocks to BSP, in order for them to stay in sync

Regards,
Y.

Banquet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:01:14 am »
Hi I grec,

Thanks for replying.

I have indeed disabled MMC in Cubase now.  With it on or off doesn't seem to make much difference to the results I'm getting while Beatstep Pro is slave to Cubase. I get the expected behaviour - the only problem I have is that the record light goes out, meaning that I can't sync my recording.

I tried press record in Cubase but won't that overwrite the Cubase part I am trying to record into Beatstep Pro?

Can you advise if normal behaviour when BSP is synced is for a play command to turn off record?  If the record button is primed it would be far more useful for the record mode to continue.

Thanks

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:58:20 am »
the only problem I have is that the record light goes out, meaning that I can't sync my recording
Yes you are right, this is a flaw in the firmware. In fact, Cubase sends a "MIDI Start" command which is interpreted like a "MIDI Stop + MIDI Continue". "MIDI Stop" exits record mode. I will send you a fix ASAP regarding this.

I tried press record in Cubase but won't that overwrite the Cubase part I am trying to record into Beatstep Pro?
Yes, by default. But you can select/deselect Cubase tracks that will be recorded (there is a red disc you can clic on near each track). This is a workaround that should work before I send you the fix.

Regards,
Y.

atte

• a773.dk
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
Yes you are right, this is a flaw in the firmware. In fact, Cubase sends a "MIDI Start" command which is interpreted like a "MIDI Stop + MIDI Continue". "MIDI Stop" exits record mode. I will send you a fix ASAP regarding this.

Although I'm not affected by this and indeed find it a very, very generous offer, I'm wondering why not but it a new release for everyone to enjoy?

In any case very happy to see the firmware ball seems to be rolling again!!!!

Banquet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 10:07:12 pm »

Although I'm not affected by this and indeed find it a very, very generous offer, I'm wondering why not but it a new release for everyone to enjoy?

In any case very happy to see the firmware ball seems to be rolling again!!!!

I've tried it again with MMC but record button still goes out unless I'm doing something wrong, but followed instruction on the help guide for Cubase.

Thank you very much for offering to send a fix, which is very much appreciated.  I look forward to being able to use the sync feature with record.

Could you also just clarify I am using the correct procedure to record from an external midi device...
As mentioned I use Cubase and have a Korg MS20mini hooked up to Midi channel 1 via USB.  I have also connected Beatstep Pro to Cubase via USB.

So, I create a midi channel, set it to channel 1 and set Beatstep Pro as input and MS20mini as output - that allows me to play the pads, etc and hear the MS20.  However, when I try to record a sequence into Beatstep Pro from the MS20 keyboard, nothing records...

So, to record from the MS20, into the Beatstep Pro, I change the midi channel input to MS20 mini and the output to Beatstep Pro.  Then record the part - and then change back again to hear the part being played.

Is that the correct procedure?

Thanks again for all your help.

atte

• a773.dk
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »
Ok after browsing around, it seems theres a new firmware comming soon, my hopes are up for the future of my favorite sequencer!

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:23:00 am »
I've tried it again with MMC but record button still goes out unless I'm doing something wrong, but followed instruction on the help guide for Cubase.
I will try from my side ASAP and keep you aware of the result.

Could you also just clarify I am using the correct procedure to record from an external midi device...
Yes it works but it is painful doing like that.
This is what I would do:
  • In Cubase track -> MS20 as input, BSP as ouput
  • BSP MIDI out connected to the MS20 MIDI In (MIDI DIN connector)

Regards,
Y.

Banquet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:09:18 am »
I will try from my side ASAP and keep you aware of the result.

Yes it works but it is painful doing like that.
This is what I would do:
  • In Cubase track -> MS20 as input, BSP as ouput
  • BSP MIDI out connected to the MS20 MIDI In (MIDI DIN connector)

Regards,
Y.

Oh, so I can connect BSP to computer with USB and still connect to an instrument with midi - then use USB for playing/recording in, and midi for playing out?  That's cool! :)

Thanks again for your help.  I'm loving the Beatstep pro.  So used to using a keyboard, it's a lovely change to use the pads and it's so flexible, with so many options.  I really get the feeling you've tried to cover everything while making it as fun to use as possible and it's worked - what an awesome piece of gear :)

Edit: just tried and works perfectly! :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:55:08 am by Banquet »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:34 pm »
Oh, so I can connect BSP to computer with USB and still connect to an instrument with midi - then use USB for playing/recording in, and midi for playing out?  That's cool! :)
Yes.

Glad to read that.

I tried and it does not work. I now remember it is normal, as BSP sends MMC but do not handle them as input commands.

Here is the fix for your issue:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1czwf8OgbQcoBKXM_1ANsuZYTvCSwRrqt

Regards,
Y.

Banquet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:16 pm »
Yes.

Glad to read that.

I tried and it does not work. I now remember it is normal, as BSP sends MMC but do not handle them as input commands.

Regards,
Y.

Just tried it and it works perfectly!

Thanks so much - can't get better customer service than that!!  My first Arturia product and very impressed :)

pasare.nicu

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »
Yes.

Glad to read that.

Regards,
Y.

So, can someone please tell me if its possible to sync beatstep pro to cubase via usb and use the transport buttons to send mmc input to cubase. I have some issues doing that. Cubase pro 10 user.
In the mmc slave active setup ive checked the input to beatstep pro and leave the output to none, as ive read it posts before that bsp doesnt support mmc input, just output. If the sync its set to usb bsp struggles to starts and then stops and then starts and finally stops, but if the sync its set to internal the transports buttons works and send the start/stop/rec commands to cubase. Pleaseee help. If its possible. I have the latest firmware for bsp.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines