March 28, 2024, 01:42:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Graphical aids  (Read 4549 times)

musirafael

• Apprentice
Graphical aids
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:59 pm »
Hi all

I have just bought an Arturia MatrixBrute and have recentrly joined the forum. For the time being I have been browsing and reading all the sound tips and tricks from the experienced guys.

The <PATCH>+<Knob> facility is essential to discover how the sound is made, but it is a bit slow process and if I forget it, I must go through it all over again.

I thought that it could be nice to have a kind of graphical aid to take note of the knobs and matrix modulation values. Its main purpose would not be to "store" the sound - we have the matrix for that - but to understand easily and quickly how the sound is made.

And instead of posting a question, I decided to spend the whole morning doing it.

Here they are:

An example with the Init Patch:
Greetings
Rafael

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:10:58 am by musirafael »

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Graphical aids
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »
This could be very helpful, thanks!

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:51:34 pm »
That was very nice of you to provide this.  Thank you.

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:26:56 am »
Oh my goodness you are the MAN!

So I bought the MatrixBrute and it is my FIRST hardware synthesizer. Yea. I've watched the ENTIRE Automatic Gainsay series. I'm still rather lost with simple stuff concerning the VCO's and the envelopes. I can't seem to duplicate the init setting to save my life but you just saved me! This will help me TREMENDOUSLY as I was so confused as to why I couldn't build a simple preset from scratch using VCO1 and VCO2 without the sound doing something strange and unpredictable out of the gate. I hit the panel button and boom, something goes haywire and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...something simple no doubt but I couldn't figure it out for a couple 2-3 days now and I was getting frustrated and beginning to doubt my purchase decision!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Riggar49

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:33:21 am »
Excellent - many thanks :D :D

gregae2001

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:01 pm »
and... we're back to patch sheets!   :o

Actually, not a bad idea for notating knob and switch settings, musirafael, given that the alternative is the two-handed 'Preset + dial-twist' operation for each knob (works, but very tedious, IMO). I have to say, however, that I much prefer the method used on the Moog Voyager, where the display shows both the stored and current values for the knob that is being tweaked.

Now we just need someone to create a complete set of patch sheets for all of the factory patches!   ;)

Seriously, thanks musirafael!

kope

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:26:07 am »
thanks for your effort.

Patch sheets were great thing a while ago :D though not too practical these days especially for this click-and-get kids generation, where speed is everything.

Arturia should upgrade their Midi Control Center with at least a graphical view of the front panel. Then every patch stored on your HDD, which already contains every piece of information required to produce a map of position/assignments, can be at least reflected if not editable over this virtual panel view.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:50:53 pm by kope »

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »
Just got my MxB last week and this morning sat down to create a patch sheet for the init settings...glad I looked here first...

Thanks Rafael  ;)

turbo_kev

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 08:06:56 pm »
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

endreola

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:45 am »

I hit the panel button and boom, something goes haywire and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...something simple no doubt but I couldn't figure it out for a couple 2-3 days now and I was getting frustrated and beginning to doubt my purchase decision!

Wouldn't it be great if Arturia actually provided an application that graphically displayed patch settings?  It would provide tremendous value to their customers.  The need for such app was previously discussed in this Forum a few times. I personally would use it and I'm sure many others here would as well.  Hopefully it's on their radar for development.

As you probably know, the Panel button toggles the sound between loaded preset and the physical location of knobs / sliders.  Here's an excerpt from the manual "When in this mode, the positions of the knobs determine the sound. This is the mode to use if you are looking to get 1:1 feedback of parameters and the sound you are editing."  But if you weren't aware of it then that could explain why things go haywire.

turbo_kev

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 01:03:01 pm »
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 04:46:35 pm »
this is what your looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CzFKkc1oE&fbclid=IwAR2ji-Dx2Rzriz9dqv3CvcZYbvQ9vLedVG9rTSwhaLbphd1xFqlQakrnnGA

cheers
ke
It will not immediately display the patch setting for all parameters, which is what many users are requesting (a "full" editor). Only the knobs that are turned will update on either of the panel or the synth. Still useful though.

BTW:
If you run Cubase or Nuendo you can grab a MIDI device definition with a similar panel with automation as well as named patch changes here:
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93446.0
If you run Live you can grab a partial panel here:
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90493.0

The graphical aids that this thread was about is the PDF/paper variety. And as a BTW there too, as discussed  here, I've made an alternative version to musirafael's, in A4 format, which can be found on GS here.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines