March 28, 2024, 05:19:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting synths to BSP then into Ableton Live  (Read 8403 times)

Simulacrumb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Connecting synths to BSP then into Ableton Live
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:00:40 am »
Absolutely no clue how to use this. Right now, it's a waste of $250. Can someone convince me otherwise by helping me just to be able to use the 2 sequencers and the drum sequencer to control 2 synths and a drum machine and send this into Ableton Live recording. I've got the midi cables for the synthesizers and drum machine.

Where do I plug these MIDI to 1/8" connectors in?

What do I do prepare Ableton Live for this?

How the heck to I sequence on the BSP once I've undertaken the above steps?

I'm using headphones to demo and record: do I do built-in output to listen to what I'm doing? I can't even figure that out.

The techy language needs to be kept to a minimum because I just have no clue how to run this thing, and I'm on the verge of throwing it out of a window or using it as a $250 paperweight.

There is not a single video tutorial that helps, and I'm not seeing anything on here.

Simulacrumb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Connecting synths to BSP then into Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
The manual, by the way, isn't much help.

luchod1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 05:15:18 pm »
Hi! Can you tell us wich is your setup? If you want to use it only to control Ableton then BSP is a midi controles as many others

basically there is two modes you can use BSP:

1) As a MIDI/USB controler: Use it with the USB cable included
A Quick guide is included on how to conect and setup to use it as a controller for DAW, in your case Ableton Live
Also check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1kMa2piwy

2) As a hardware sequencer, i use it this way with external hardware conected via MIDI OUT (also there´s CV GATE OUT for analog synths/drums)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:59:17 am »
The techy language needs to be kept to a minimum because I just have no clue how to run this thing.

This makes me think you should sell it and stick to running purely software.  If you don't know the terminology then you can't be communicated with and if you refuse to do anything to learn at least what we are talking about when trying to instruct you, then we are all wasting our time here.

A couple of good people put an amount of effort to try to help you in your last thread and it seem you learnt nothing from that, so I fear you are not going to learn, but one more time for the dummies, as we say here.

The BSP isn't a synth, it makes not sound of it's own.  It is a MIDI sequencer.  You plug it into other MIDI devices, or you plug it into a computer MIDI interface.  It tells those MIDI devices what to play.  You don't use it to record audio.  Now I've explained that part, I suggest you type "using hardware midi sequencers with ableton live" into google before coming back here and asking more questions that are nothing to do with the BSP and everything to do with you not knowing what the device you bought actually is.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Simulacrumb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:33 pm »
First of all, I know BSP doesn't make sounds.

Secondly, I know it doesn't record audio.

Where in my last thread or this one did I say I want the BSP to make sounds or record? Did I say that? No, I didn't. I'm making the sounds on my hardware synthesizers and drum machines, and recording on Ableton Live. How exactly did this get twisted into you assuming that I wanted to make sounds on my BSP and record on it as well?

I'm not refusing to learn, megamarkd. But, there is a tendency on forums and in video tutorials to deploy techspeak on the assumption that all people are as equally well-versed as the person explaining things. I've only stated here that I am not on equal footing. I've looked at the user manual, and I still don't know what is going on. As a professional journalist and copywriter, I can't fathom how this is not explained in plain terms, or even just explained clearly right from the get-go by a technical writer. The technical writer of the BPS user manual must be an engineer tasked with writing the manual. There should be a section that clearly states how to get this set up and multi-tracked into Ableton, or any DAW for that matter. It is beyond me that this is not the case.

As I clearly stated, I want to use it to sequence external synths. To be specific, I bought it because I wanted to expand the Monologue and Minilogue's capabilities from 16 steps to 64 steps, as well as sync them to the Moog Sub 37, which already sequences in 64 steps. Now, because I have to use BSP to do this, it demands that I get those sequenced notes into Ableton Live for recording.

I know that CV is a way of controlling synths, much like MIDI. That I know. But, I don't have the granular understand of CV, and I can't magically acquire that intelligence in the space of a few days.

Back to being a journalist for a moment, because it is instructive in this case. On a routine basis I've got to explain difficult matters, and even technology like cryptocurrency or very complicated tech/art projects to readers, and it's very important to be clear and simple and not make any assumptions about the readers' level of expertise. I'm known for doing this well, both by publishers, editors, and readers. So, when I see the opposite, I know it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:43:48 pm by Simulacrumb »

Simulacrumb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:46:55 pm »
luchod1, my setup is this:

Korg Minilogue
Korg Monologue
Moog Sub 37
Volca Beats (with MIDI Out hack)
Korg Electrib Sampler (which I mainly use for percussion)
Dave Smith Mono Evolver Keybboard

MacBook Pro (brand new) running Ableton Live

Typically I run a synth (Minilogue, Monologue, or Sub 37) and a drum machine into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 into Ableton, lay those tracks down, then build with other synths going into the Scarlett then into Ableton. This is easy, and it works for me. But the Minilogue and Monologue are limited to 16 steps. I want to be able to run the Minilogue, Monologue, Sub 37 and a drum machine simultaneously up to 64 steps. So I want them in sync so that I can move from one to the other tweaking them live as a record.

Trying to get those instruments into the BSP and getting this onto Ableton Live for demo recording purposes is not easy.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:49:04 pm by Simulacrumb »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:43:00 am »
First of all, I know BSP doesn't make sounds.

Secondly, I know it doesn't record audio.

Where in my last thread or this one did I say I want the BSP to make sounds or record? Did I say that? No, I didn't. I'm making the sounds on my hardware synthesizers and drum machines, and recording on Ableton Live. How exactly did this get twisted into you assuming that I wanted to make sounds on my BSP and record on it as well?

I'm not refusing to learn, megamarkd. But, there is a tendency on forums and in video tutorials to deploy techspeak on the assumption that all people are as equally well-versed as the person explaining things. I've only stated here that I am not on equal footing. I've looked at the user manual, and I still don't know what is going on. As a professional journalist and copywriter, I can't fathom how this is not explained in plain terms, or even just explained clearly right from the get-go by a technical writer. The technical writer of the BPS user manual must be an engineer tasked with writing the manual. There should be a section that clearly states how to get this set up and multi-tracked into Ableton, or any DAW for that matter. It is beyond me that this is not the case.

As I clearly stated, I want to use it to sequence external synths. To be specific, I bought it because I wanted to expand the Monologue and Minilogue's capabilities from 16 steps to 64 steps, as well as sync them to the Moog Sub 37, which already sequences in 64 steps. Now, because I have to use BSP to do this, it demands that I get those sequenced notes into Ableton Live for recording.

I know that CV is a way of controlling synths, much like MIDI. That I know. But, I don't have the granular understand of CV, and I can't magically acquire that intelligence in the space of a few days.

Back to being a journalist for a moment, because it is instructive in this case. On a routine basis I've got to explain difficult matters, and even technology like cryptocurrency or very complicated tech/art projects to readers, and it's very important to be clear and simple and not make any assumptions about the readers' level of expertise. I'm known for doing this well, both by publishers, editors, and readers. So, when I see the opposite, I know it.

You are anything but clear in nearly every post prior to this, then all of a sudden all the info needed for anyone to help appears in the post following.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

luchod1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:56:53 am »
Hi

BSP has only one midi out port
Your moog has CV Gate input but in other post it was said not to be secure to trigger notes from BSP to any moog synth because BSP sends 10v and moog likely receive 5v

Both Korg and moog lack of midi thru which you could use to create a chain:
Midi out BSP
Midi in Synth A
Midi thru synth A
Midi in synth B

So I think you should need a midi splitter as "midi solution quadra thru"
Midi out BSP using the gray adaptor included
Midi in Quadra
Midi thru Quadra to each one of your synths

Any way you listed 1 drum machine and 3 synths
BSP can sequence 1 drum (polyphonic) - default midi channel 10
and 2 monophonic synths - default midi channel 1 and 2
Midi channel can be changed on BSP front panel

Install MIDI control center software (and update BSP firmware if necessary)
Default general midi numbers are assigned to each pad in drum seq
Change values to those in volca beats
(Note numbers and corresponding parts 36: KICK, 38: SNARE, 43: LO TOM, 50: HI TOM, 42: CL HAT, 46: OP HAT, 39: CLAP) I copied this but not sure

tkabd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:36 pm »
As I understood you need to record your synths by turn because you do not have enough audio ins. Connect any of your device as follows: put midi to jack adapter to midi out of bsp and then use a standard midi cable to connect it with the device's midi in. Connect bsp to your Mac via usb and enable track and sync in midi pane. Make midi tracks in ableton and configure inputs on each track according to ones that bsp sends on each part (seq1, seq2 and drum). It will allow you to record midi data from the bsp while hearing audio from the synths for further feeding that midi notes from ableton to the synth to record audio. Then toggle usb sync on bsp. The only issue that annoys me much is that bsp doesn't start in time with ableton, hope the long-awaited update will fix it. To overcome that bug I actually start recording in ableton first with metronome enabled in it and with bsp in internal clock mode and then switch it to usb sync mode and try to press play in time with live's metronome. It needs a bit practicing but it works. Fell yourself a dj matching beats lol. Once you got in beat it works perfectly in sync. If it is, I just turn off the metronome on the fly . BUT! Bsp has monophonic sequencers and minilogue is a poly synth, you will be able to make 64-steps but sacrificing its polyphony. also  make sure that midi tracks are record enabled in live. At the end you will have records ed seq and drum data in ableton which you can route to your synths afterwards. Just disconnect midi from bsp and connect it to Scarlett's midi out. I suggest you to purchase a simple mixer to wire all your synths you do not feed to the Scarlett at the moment together with the Scarlett itself to have a full picture of what you playing and yes, you need a midi splitter also to send midi notes to all your synths as well as clock to sub32 at the same time. You can also configure bsp control mode in midi control center for controlling the parameters of, say, the minilogue according to its midi implementation chart. This will allow you to record also your parameters you tweak in real time like cutoff etc. in Live. If there is anything unclear for you I will gladly answer your questions.
P.S. And please be patient. Here are the people who, just like you, are looking for help and share their experience of solving issues, we are no Arturia employees, no one will convince you not to throw your bsp to the window.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:48:28 pm by tkabd »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Hi Simulacrumb,
Have you managed to make things work?

The technical writer of the BPS user manual must be an engineer tasked with writing the manual.
  • That's wrong. This guy do not even work at Arturia's
  • Moreover, I believe the manual writer is good at explaining things to people not familiar with technical terms. Obviously, you must know a minimum related to this domain in order to understand the manual

Best regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines