April 29, 2024, 01:20:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro MIDI out to MOTU Midi Express  (Read 2529 times)

micahevan1980

• Apprentice
Beatstep Pro MIDI out to MOTU Midi Express
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:06:38 am »
Has anyone tried routing the MIDI out to a MOTU Midi Express 128?  In theory, it seems I could run the midi out to channel 1 IN on the MOTU, then control all 8 outs via the Beatstep Pro, controlling 8 different devices.  Anyone had any experience with this or a similar setup?

Thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Beatstep Pro MIDI out to MOTU Midi Express
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:47:07 am »
I use an old Akai ME80P 8in/10out MIDI patchbay/router.  I've looked at the MOTU range, but want something I can completely program from the front panel and I don't need a MIDI computer interface.

That said, I know the MOTU's can do all the basics like splitting inputs.  If you want to combine/merge inputs, they have have that function, but iirc you have to set those inputs using a computer (merge 1, merge some, merge all; that last setting scares me as I've bricked an old 80's sequencer by feeding it way too much MIDI at once).

I you are just after a way to split your MIDI data off to many instruments, have a look at Kenton or MIDI Solutions.  Both have great splitters with Kenton doing a 1in/25out splitter for ridiculously large instrument collections.  They also do a more sensible 1in/5out solution.  Both companies also to merge boxes, if you need to combine data, eg: controller box data + sequencer data.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

micahevan1980

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:27:21 am »
Graci for your reply.  I found the Audio/Midi Setup application in my mac and hooked both the Beatstep Pro and the MOTU up to it via usb.  In the manual, it reads I should be able to drag virtual cables from one item to another.  It's not allowing me to do this.  Currently, I have the MIDI OUT plugged into MOTU In 1, then Out 1 and Out 2 into two separate outboard synths.  But when I hit play o the BSP, all I get are MIDI out notifications in the application, but no notes are being transmitted to the synthesizers.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:23 am »
No worries mate.

I've tried install the configuration software on my PC (Windows machine), but without the hardware I can't start the application, so I can't have a look at it myself.  Reading the software manual/guide I can see you have done what they say, but without access to the app to poke around, I can't see if there is anything you have overlooked.

This is definitely an issue with using the MOTU MIDI Express 128 software, but since MOTU don't seem to have a forum attached to their site, I'd email support for some help.

Gook Luck.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:29:48 am »
Hi Mica,

I've got the same components as you have in my setup: BeatStep Pro, MIDI Express 128, and Mac.

The solution is to use MIDI Patchbay.. it's a free program you can download. It allows you to configure how the MIDI streams going to the INs of your Express are routed (and even filtered) to the OUTs.

One more thing: in AMS, you need to define the BeatStep Pro as a new device.. then the port arrows are situated on the top of the rectangle, instead of on the bottom. Then you can make the connections in AMS. Don't ask me why BeatStep Pro becomes visible with the arrows pointing to the bottom, I'd love to know myself (can Arturia explain this for us?). The AMS help is of course completely silent on the topic of arrow directions.

In MIDI Patchbay, you can make a logical connection between your Beatstep MIDI out and your MOTU Express IN (you may also want to do the symmetric opposite, if you want external keyboards to input sequences into the Beatstep).

Hope this helps!

Laurence
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:56:59 pm by JavaLaurence »
Be Happy. Live for Today

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines