April 29, 2024, 02:08:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP & Korg Volca SYNC IN a mess?!  (Read 10982 times)

RadianPixel

BSP & Korg Volca SYNC IN a mess?!
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:00:57 pm »
Hi guys

I'm connected the "Clock Out" from the BSP to the "Sync In" of my Volca Bass. But when I push "Play" on the BSP, the Volca doesn't start playing back. If I then hit "Play" manually on the Volca, the sequence is played but it's played like on 1250BPM. ;-)

I know that I could use the "Midi Out", but that is not an option for me because of the following:
I have a modular connected to the BSP (via CV) and I don't want my Volca to play the same sequence like my Modular.

Anyone knows how I can get the Volcas to get the clock of the BSP without the sequence?

Thanks in advance!

Radian Pixel

BeatPriest

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: BSP & Korg Volca SYNC IN a mess?!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:17:06 pm »
Same issue here, i have tested the clock the other way around: a 120 Bpm cv pulse from a modulair into cv tempo in of the BS pro, now the BS pro goes around 1Bpm! I have not been able to find the bpm/frequenty ratio of the output of the Beatstep but it behaves not like expected. i will try to measure output with a oscilloscope to see how it's behaving. Keep you posted but it seems to need an external frequenty divider before clocking the volca series by cv.

BeatPriest

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »
Now this is interesting. The BS pro seems to need an stereo mini jack for cv clock. Tip and ring have seperated signals. One goes high/low depending on start/stop and the other one has pulse. So anyone tried a stereo mini to dual mono mini jack? A not so common cable i asume

Uncle Screwtape

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:50:27 am »
The Volcas (and other Korg devices) use a proprietary (so it seems) sync protocol. It's been a while since I researched this, but as I recall, when I set the BSP to 1 Pulse Per Step is when the Volca "slowed" to double time. It turns out the Volcas use a Pulse per ODD step, so for every step the BSP triggers/pulses, the Volca moves 2. Not sure why, but it could allow for independent swing setting, since the even (swing) notes will not be synced. I hope Arturia includes this protocol in a future firmware release, as I would like the freedom to sync my Volcas without MIDI as well.

Zymos

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »
Now this is interesting. The BS pro seems to need an stereo mini jack for cv clock. Tip and ring have seperated signals. One goes high/low depending on start/stop and the other one has pulse. So anyone tried a stereo mini to dual mono mini jack? A not so common cable i asume

I've used a regular mono 1/8" patch cord for both clock in and out of the BSP connected to Eurorack.

btw - "jack" means the female connector that is built into the BSP or whatever-you are talking about the "plug"...

TinyVince

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »
Same here with Korgs SQ-1.But not with my DarkTime !
In my case, i sync a VolcaBeats via MidiClockMode from the BSP. The SQ-1 becomes a sync via sync out from the beats.And now it runs perfectly!

TinyVince

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:43:10 pm »
By the way...i had the same probs with my sq-1!! double speed in sync mode i mean.
I found 2 options to choose on my sq-1 but not in the manual. ???
1.: press the start button, power on and select the third position from left with theese direction dial.Now another power on. result double speed.  :(
2.: the same like before but now poistion fourth....and high five  ;D  My sq-1 run exacly like the BSP .
I use midi from BSP the volcas.

TinyVince
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:56:06 pm by TinyVince »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:21:40 am »
Hi guys

I'm connected the "Clock Out" from the BSP to the "Sync In" of my Volca Bass. But when I push "Play" on the BSP, the Volca doesn't start playing back. If I then hit "Play" manually on the Volca, the sequence is played but it's played like on 1250BPM. ;-)

I know that I could use the "Midi Out", but that is not an option for me because of the following:
I have a modular connected to the BSP (via CV) and I don't want my Volca to play the same sequence like my Modular.

Anyone knows how I can get the Volcas to get the clock of the BSP without the sequence?

Thanks in advance!

Radian Pixel

Apparently the Volcas run on 2ppqs which is why they step two for every one sync pulse.  Teenage Engineering use the same (non) standard.  I think that the other two companies should fall in line with the rest, but that's not going to happen and Arturia have said they want to solve the issue so that the BSP will be able to sync Volcas and OP-1/PO's correctly (this issue has been addressed on these boards previously, do a search to find the thread concerned).

Until that happens, if you want to use the analogue syncing with your Volca/TE modules you can do so by using a drum track gate-out sending a pulse every second step.  Yes, this means you only have 15 drum tracks and 7 gate-outs left to work with but there is a lot more control and creativity this way than using the usual sync methods.

With regard to using midi, you can pass your Volca the midi clock without either of the note sequences by setting it to a different midi channel than the sequencers are set to.  This will work as long as the BSP is running a sequence, but will not when it is stopped.  This is because the BSP DOES NOT SEND CONSTANT MIDI CLOCK DATA (Arturia can you address this please?).  I have worked around this by using the master midi clock function on my Novation Zero SL mk2, though ERM make a standalone master midi clock that is cheaper than buying a dedicated controller with masterclock functionality on the side.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »
Hi everyone!

Yep, the same problem goes for the Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operator
As megamarkd said, I started a topic here : http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85744.msg125290#msg125290

:)

reubenhm

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:25 pm »
Hi, first post here after getting a BSP recently. The proper solution is obviously to get a MIDI Thru box, but I just saw this from the SOS review:

Each model has Sync In and Out sockets and a cable is supplied for plugging in to the next in series. It's flexible and ridiculously easy, as is sync'ing to analogue sequencers or LFOs. The clock generates pulses of 5V and one of a small list of global options allows this voltage to be inverted for use with S-trig sequencers such as Korg's own SQ10.

I haven't got around to trying it yet but check the last part of the manual on the below link for how to change polarity, which I presume is what you need to do as well as making sure the BSP is on S-Trig in MIDI Control Center:
http://www.pilgrimbreak.com/korg-volca-beats-html-manual/

Please do post here again if this is a solution.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:29:46 pm by reubenhm »

jedgil

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:00:36 am »
HEY!

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say that I found this via Google and after trying about 8 other things I tried Googling, this one FINALLY WORKED. I can now finally use my BSP to sequence my volca beats, sample AND microbrute with internal sequencer all via CV/Gate!

if anyone still cares, I'll walk you through it, but the global settings mentioned above and s-trig setting on the BSP were the golden moment for me.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines