April 27, 2024, 11:24:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: using mod wheel causes edit * to appear  (Read 2008 times)

jeffbart

using mod wheel causes edit * to appear
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:15:15 am »
When I use the mod wheel on any sound, the patch name gets an asterix * at the end which denotes it's being edited. I haven't edited anything.
So, I thought maybe mod wheel (cc1) is assigned as a midi parameter controller.
So, I unassigned everything I could see in the Mini, ie no MIDI parameter controllers assigned at all.. yet still it does it.

With the default Mini V3 midi controller config, is the mod wheel (cc1) by default assigned to be a Midi parameter control (which might explain why using the wheel makes Mini think it's being edited)?

Thanks for your time!
cheers Jeff
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: using mod wheel causes edit * to appear
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:53:22 am »
Hi jeffbart,

yes the modwheel is hard-midi mapped by design. As you would have noticed, you can't do midi-learning on the modwheel.
you get an "* " simply because the inital state of the preset has changed, because you've played with the modwheel.

Hope it helps,
Best.

jeffbart

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:36 pm »
This is not the behaviour for Matrix 12, or SEM. you can use the mod wheels in those and the patch does not display *.
I can't see how moving the mod wheel means the patch has been edited?
If the mod wheel is not assigned to anything, how does the patch change when it's moved?
The pitch wheel movement does not change the patch ( does not cause * to appear), why is it different?
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

Sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:31 pm »
Hi Jeffbart,

Actually, the M-12 and the SEM should have the same behaviour. Please let me know if that's not the case with your setup.

Now, to answer your initial question:
1. In the Mini V3 (and the same thing goes for the M-12 / SEM), the mod wheel of your MIDI controller is hard-linked to the software mod wheel. This link is NOT removable using the MIDI mapping tools.
2. In our preset files, we have to store the current value of the mod wheel parameter. This is mandatory, because a lot of those presets are relying on this parameter's current value.
3. Each parameter that is stored in a preset triggers the "mark current preset as changed" action when edited.

That's why when you move your controller's mod wheel, the current preset is marked as changed.

Now, the point #2 is not applicable for the pitch wheel. It's not necessary to store its value in our preset files since it returns to its neutral position when it's released.
That's why those two wheels don't have the same behaviour on your presets.

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

Best,

Sam
Sam
Software engineer
Arturia

jeffbart

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:37 am »
That all makes sense, I understand now why mod wheel change is seen as an 'edit of the preset'
Thanks
Cheers jeffrey and good luck with your work.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines