April 27, 2024, 02:15:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: a $2000 monophonic synth?  (Read 4004 times)

winterweeds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
a $2000 monophonic synth?
« on: January 28, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »
I don't really know much about this sort of thing, and that is why I am asking this.  Who is likely to pay this much for a monophonic synthesizer?  Wouldn't people choose a similarly priced polyphonic product over this one?  I am guessing that the lack of polyphony is made up for by its huge number of patch possibilities, but isn't monophony a formidable limitation for such an expensive product?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: a $2000 monophonic synth?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:35:56 pm »
I don't really know much about this sort of thing, and that is why I am asking this.  Who is likely to pay this much for a monophonic synthesizer?  Wouldn't people choose a similarly priced polyphonic product over this one?  I am guessing that the lack of polyphony is made up for by its huge number of patch possibilities, but isn't monophony a formidable limitation for such an expensive product?
Do you know of a similarly priced polyphonic synth with 3 VCOs, 2 VCFs, 3 ENVs, 3 LFOs, 64 step sequencer with this amount of CV In/Outs, this amount of modulation flexibility on top of patch save/recall ?

To some, the high degree of sound design that a monophonic synth allows for bass or lead sounds justifies buying a mono/paraphonic synth when compared with a much lower spec'ed poly or surely, if similarly spec'ed, it would never fit this price range, currently.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:02:11 pm by Koshdukai »

winterweeds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:12 pm »
No, I don't really know of a similarly priced polyphonic synth, but I am the wrong person to ask.  That's part of the reason why I was posted, since it is not the case that all polyphonic synths are as expensive as the matrixbrute.  In any case, as amazing as all the matrixbrute's features are, I wouldn't be surprised if some people would be willing to sacrifice some of those features for some more voices.  What sort of synth would those people buy?

If, for some reason, I needed to have a polyphonic synth with a lot of the same features of the matrixbrute, then I suppose I would have to get either a Prophet 6 ($2800) or Prophet 12 ($3000), both of which are a lot more expensive.  In some ways, you would need to combine the prophet 6 and 12 to get some of the matrixbrute's features (the 12 has no sequencer, while the 6 has limited patching capabilities, I think).  I could get the prophet 12 module for $1700, but that doesn't seem nearly as exciting.  Or sacrifice a lot of features for the prophet '08, but, again, not as exciting.  So perhaps the matrixbrute fills a bigger gap in the market than I at first perceived.  I don't really know for sure.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »
A monophonic synth is its own thing. As already mentioned, having only one voice will allow that one voice to be quite extensive. The performance side is often tailored towards monophonic playing and expression with well functioning legato, portamento, triggering modes, key priority and such. Although a polysynth could technically offer proper monophonic expression and articualtion, that's not often (if ever?) seen. Besides an instrument has to have some kind of scope - no instrument can or should be all things to all men.

Oh, and speaking of monophonic features, I don't see envelope Multitrig, Reset and Latch options on the MatrixBrute, like you have on e.g. a Sub 37. I hope the MB will have those things. I'd also like to see those envelopes being loopable, or are Arturia adamant that there should not be any features that don't have a dedicated button or knob on the front panel?

When it comes to the cost, a large portion of that goes into the chassis, keyboard, front panel, power supply, performance controllers and so on. Those things are the same for a mono and a poly, and means that a high quality and fully featured mono will start a bit up on the price ladder. That said, I liked the initial $1800 dollar price better than the current $2200 price (ref. Sweetwater) - don't price yourself out of the market, Arturia ;)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 11:47:50 pm »
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Well, I think you did all the "math" correctly with which I agree.

Basically, some will prefer the easy access to the extra flexibility of a lead/bass (or both thanks to the split/paraphonic modes) of the MatrixBrute.

Others may value more the pad/string/key chord style of playing where the sound design possibilities are enough for them.

Others may want it all or as close as possible to all... and pay accordingly :)

So I don't think the MatrixBrute is over-priced, quite the opposite.

Personally, I was kinda expecting from Arturia an affordable 2 VCO 1 VCF paraphonic Brute with a MicroBrute'ish but expanded Modulation section *OR* preset save/recall, on the price range just slightly above of the MiniBrute.
It would be an incremental step towards an eventual 4~6 voice 2VCO Brute... basically fitting the empty space now filled with the Korg Minilogue (IMHO).

Instead, Arturia went sky rocketing to the top :D and... I'm actually fine with that too.
If there's anything I could point at feature-wise, I would've allowed 8 instead of 4 custom mod destinations and have those double as generic CV outs at the top/back together with at least 4 generic CV ins, like the Macro knobs but I'm honestly happy and impressed with the current feature-set :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:49:47 pm by Koshdukai »

winterweeds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:36 pm »
You've both given me plenty to consider and think about.  It will be a while before I can justify spending $2000 on anything, since I am doomed to academic slavery for the next few years, at least.  But, for when freedom comes, I like to have a well-informed wish-list. My microbrute will keep me sane in the meantime, I hope. 

Thanks!

exiannyc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:03 pm »
If there's anything I could point at feature-wise, I would've allowed 8 instead of 4 custom mod destinations and have those double as generic CV outs at the top/back together with at least 4 generic CV ins, like the Macro knobs but I'm honestly happy and impressed with the current feature-set :)

I second this idea.  To me flexibility is a very high priority.  A synth with 8 custom mod destinations (and 8 predefined ones) is twice as valuable as a synth with 4 custom mod destinations (and 12 predefined ones).  (And a synth with 16 custom mod destinations is many times more valuable.   But 8 would be a good compromise.)

I'm still very excited about this design.  For learning and experimentation, to be able to save patches and go back and build on them, to be able to load existing patches and tweak them and learn from them - that's a lot of power.  Kudos to Arturia for this great design.  All best wishes.

Christian

GregNouveau

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:20:44 am »
I think the MatrixBrute is squarely aimed at the Moog Voyager XL...

The XL is basically the "king" of vintage monosynths, and with a price tag to reflect this (£3000+).

From what I can see, the MatrixBrute represents what is essentially an XL, with additional features, and some elements of a modular synth.

This creates an instrument which builds on a Moog foundation, and extends into the Moog Modular territory..?

With a Moog Modular costing the same as a nice car, I think it puts into perspective what is on offer with the MatrixBrute.....

As it talks to analogue gear as well, you have a basis to build a mega-synth over time, as your inclination (and cash!) allow.

As long as the pricing point is sensible, and above all, it is RELIABLE, then it's a sure-fire winner, and a step forward.....

There was never a chance I would pay £3000+ for a VoyagerXL: I could get an A6 for less, with polyphony, etc: but don't forget that you can still BUY a Voyager...the A6 was discontinued ages ago, so it already has that "appreciating classic" status.

The MAtrixBrute has that potential......

If Arturia can launch this for £1750 or less in the UK, then it's game-on.

I suspect it will be the wrong side of £2000, though, as we in the UK end up paying the dollar price, but in GBP....! :-(

No doubt, over time, a "street price" will establish itself, and that ultimately depends on supply and reliability, etc....?

But, its gonna be interesting, nonetheless.... :)

No doubt, Arturia are already developing the poly version as we speak...? ;-)

winterweeds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »

Thanks.   That's a helpful comparison.  I see what you mean.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:42 am »

The XL is basically the "king" of vintage monosynths, and with a price tag to reflect this (£3000+).

From what I can see, the MatrixBrute represents what is essentially an XL, with additional features, and some elements of a modular synth.

This creates an instrument which builds on a Moog foundation, and extends into the Moog Modular territory..?

With a Moog Modular costing the same as a nice car, I think it puts into perspective what is on offer with the MatrixBrute.....

As it talks to analogue gear as well, you have a basis to build a mega-synth over time, as your inclination (and cash!) allow.

As long as the pricing point is sensible, and above all, it is RELIABLE, then it's a sure-fire winner, and a step forward.....

There was never a chance I would pay £3000+ for a VoyagerXL: I could get an A6 for less, with polyphony, etc: but don't forget that you can still BUY a Voyager...the A6 was discontinued ages ago, so it already has that "appreciating classic" status.

The MAtrixBrute has that potential......

If Arturia can launch this for £1750 or less in the UK, then it's game-on.

I suspect it will be the wrong side of £2000, though, as we in the UK end up paying the dollar price, but in GBP....! :-(

No doubt, over time, a "street price" will establish itself, and that ultimately depends on supply and reliability, etc....?

But, its gonna be interesting, nonetheless.... :)

No doubt, Arturia are already developing the poly version as we speak...? ;-)

Ive seen some shops in the uk selling at £1550 maybe less if you go into the shop with cash!
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

GregNouveau

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »
Yes...just seen this myself......!! 8)

Looks like the pricing point is going to be JUST RIGHT....!?  ;)

Filterseducer

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »
Do you know of a similarly priced polyphonic synth with 3 VCOs, 2 VCFs, 3 ENVs, 3 LFOs, 64 step sequencer with this amount of CV In/Outs, this amount of modulation flexibility on top of patch save/recall ?

To some, the high degree of sound design that a monophonic synth allows for bass or lead sounds justifies buying a mono/paraphonic synth when compared with a much lower spec'ed poly or surely, if similarly spec'ed, it would never fit this price range, currently.

Elektron Analog Keys, 1400E. Killer synth-Seq, Swedish, not frenchy. For 2000 go for a 2nd hand one + Analog Rytm: Heaven.
Also one 2nd hand Voyager rack, if you want some class. Why to drive a Renault if you can drive a Corvette?  8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:24:56 pm by Filterseducer »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 05:04:20 pm »

Elektron Analog Keys, 1400E. Killer synth-Seq, Swedish, not frenchy. For 2000 go for a 2nd hand one + Analog Rytm: Heaven.
Also one 2nd hand Voyager rack, if you want some class. Why to drive a Renault if you can drive a Corvette?  8)

Well, if you can cope with the Elektron Analog Keys UI, be my guest :)
To each, his own, right? ;)
I do like everything about the specs *on paper* of the Elektron but from what I've heard from ex-owners that went back to one-knob-per-function type of vintage synths, its UI is like trying to build a ship inside a bottle. The alternative, to use its software programmer, we're back into "mouse clicking" which hardware is supposed to take us away from.
Also, some of those same ex-owners complained about its "steril" sound. Subjective, I know... and just personal opinions. Fortunately, one should be free to choose, so no biggie there :)

Regarding the $1,999.00 2nd hand Voyager rack, well add to that $100 S&H + $500 on Import charges (because not everyone lives in the US).
Also... it's eBay, it's 2nd hand, it's "only" a rack module and most importantly, it lacks the preset recallable highly flexible and easy to use mod matrix.
TBH, if I wanted a Moog, I'd rather go the Sub37 route, but that's me :)

...and speaking of cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fb_Vl_1PrA
eh ;)

If I was a "Renault" kinda guy, I would rather drive this one, TBH:
http://www.topcarrating.com/2015-renault-megane-rs-275-cup-s.php

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines