March 28, 2024, 05:27:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Integration of Spark 2.0 in FL studio 11  (Read 8327 times)

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Integration of Spark 2.0 in FL studio 11
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »
Dear Spark users,

I've recently bought Spark and I'm planning to go in depth with it. However one of the first things I couldn't figure out is how to integrate Spark 2.0 with FL studio 11. I've got it to work, but it still seems more of an independent entity within FL, if you know what I mean. I can make patterns in Spark, it all works, I can sequence them into a song in Spark etc. and do seem to grasp that. However I don't understand how I can then use all this within the FL studio pattern sequencer.

So far I've found some bypass by using piano roll within a pattern. Here, every note becomes one of the sounds of the pads from Spark. I have to write down which note corresponds to which sound because for some reason it isn't shown. But when that's done, I can create different patterns in FL itself and then sequence them. All the other options from Spark still work here, I mean I can tweak and tune every sound in the studio section in Spark. But it seems like a wrong shortcut, I'm sure I'm missing something.

Oh I forgot to mention that I only use the software. No hardware midi controller added as of yet :)

Thanks in advance

PS: Is there any section on this forum where one can learn how to make patches in the modular section of Spark ? I would learn quickest from examplse I think. So I can observe how a typical snare or kick is patched and then try to make my own.

CC4

• Beta-testers
Re: Integration of Spark 2.0 in FL studio 11
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:23 am »
It is my understanding that you cannot record MIDI information generated from a plugin from within FL Studio.  That's why the Spark preferences "Send MIDI from Sequencer" and "Send MIDI from Pads" are not very useful inside FL Studio.  You cannot build a song inside Spark's Song Panel, play it back, and have FL Studio directly record the MIDI information into an empty piano roll.

Now, I have done that in a different sequencer and then imported the MIDI track into FL Studio.  Another workaround is to use a virtual MIDI port which sends the MIDI out and then back into FL Studio and allows you to record that MIDI information into an empty piano roll in the Playlist.  It's a bit convoluted, but it works.  Of course, you can build a song in Spark and then record an audio track in FL Studio which allows you to do all the cool FX Live Pad effects.  I prefer to do the mix much later though.

So the best way I've found to use Spark inside FL Studio is to create the patterns inside Spark and then go through the tedious task of drag & dropping each individual MIDI pattern from Spark into FL Studio's individual patterns.  If you like working with FL Studio's patterns panel, then that's great way to go.

I'd prefer to just record the entire Spark MIDI track once in FL Studio, but it would be nice if Image-Line and/or Arturia made that capability a bit easier.  (Unless I'm overlooking something).  I was curious how others are using Spark inside FL Studio.

p140982

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »
You can record and automate fx from spark into FL

You have to assign  spark to a midi channel.
Now when you Create a pattern for the midi channel, drag and drop the pattern from spark into the midi channel pattern.
It then copy's it all the notes in the correct place.

When you want to record and edit FX automation just simply have spark playing a blank bank pattern, it will then read your FL pattern and enable you to record what ever fx you use on the fx pad

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »
Dear CC4 and P140982,

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I have no midi controller, so I'm not sure whether midi-information is involved.

As for creating patterns in Spark and then dragging and dropping them into FL patterns, that seems like a good idea, though I might as well create the patters in FL in the first place.

So how is Spark meant to be integrated anyway ? Any other D.A.W.'s that work seamlessly with it ? Or is it merely meant for live control ? Otherwise, with the above workarounds, I can still a lot of features from Spark so all in all it's not too bad.

More about midi; I'm not sure how to assign a midi-channel. I assumed this was done automatically, because I can use my keyboard to trigger pads already without changing any settings.

Kind regards,

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »
Dear CC4,

I've tried dragging and dropping the patterns made in Spark 2.0 into patterns in Fl, but it didn't seem to work. What am I missing here ? Should I open Spark multiple times perhaps ?

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
The Spark plugin generates the MIDI information.  Essentially any plugin that generates MIDI itself won't directly write that MIDI data into FL Studio without the use of a virtual MIDI port.  I use the Jack Audio Connection Kit, but many find it a bit complicated.  LoopBe1 and loopMIDI are other virtual MIDI ports.  Try out Spark in another sequencer, like Ohm Studio, and you'll see what I mean.  There are a handful of MIDI generating plugins that don't work at all inside FL Studio without a virtual MIDI port/cable.

Anyway, less complicated answer:
Go to the Sequencer Panel of Spark and select your pattern.  Click on the green MIDI export button and drag it to the empty Spark pattern and it will create the piano roll for you.  The one benefit is you don't have to remember where each drum is located.  I create a rough version of my song's drums inside Spark then export the patterns individually.  As I create the other tracks inside FL Studio... it becomes easy to then tweak any of those individual patterns based upon how the song is turning out.

To answer your MIDI question:
Along with the MIDI Settings in the Options menu of FL Studio, if you click on the Wrapper Settings icon (looks like a gear) of the Fruity Wrapper, in the Settings tab you'll find the plugin's individual MIDI input and output ports.  That's how you assign a different MIDI channel to a plugin.  Now if you're not already aware of it, in that same panel in the Processing tab, you'll find the Connections section.  You can use that in conjunction with Spark's Mixer panel to individually route each drum to a separate channel in FL Studio.

Blanco_Beats

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:38:40 am »
The Spark plugin generates the MIDI information.  Essentially any plugin that generates MIDI itself won't directly write that MIDI data into FL Studio without the use of a virtual MIDI port.  I use the Jack Audio Connection Kit, but many find it a bit complicated.  LoopBe1 and loopMIDI are other virtual MIDI ports.  Try out Spark in another sequencer, like Ohm Studio, and you'll see what I mean.  There are a handful of MIDI generating plugins that don't work at all inside FL Studio without a virtual MIDI port/cable.

Thanks man I think I understand this. Some virtual mediator is needed with some plugins, though Spark seems to function without it but not completely seamlessly. Also I didn't realize the plugin created midi-information. I thought that was strictly limited to controllers like a keyboard, or Spark Le etc..

Anyway, less complicated answer:
Go to the Sequencer Panel of Spark and select your pattern.  Click on the green MIDI export button and drag it to the empty Spark pattern and it will create the piano roll for you.  The one benefit is you don't have to remember where each drum is located.  I create a rough version of my song's drums inside Spark then export the patterns individually.  As I create the other tracks inside FL Studio... it becomes easy to then tweak any of those individual patterns based upon how the song is turning out.

I've tried this and it works. Quite handy indeed. However it would mean opening Spark 2.0, say, 5 times if you have 5 different drum sequences right ?

Also I noticed that when I play 1 spark pattern in Fl, all the spark patterns start to play simultaneously. I have to stop them one by one except the one I want to hear at that moment. Do you have the same ? I created a song with two patterns of Spark, bot of them played all the time while in the pattern sequencer of FL I had one of them play and then the other. Hmz. Can't say it's functional at the moment.

To answer your MIDI question:
Along with the MIDI Settings in the Options menu of FL Studio, if you click on the Wrapper Settings icon (looks like a gear) of the Fruity Wrapper, in the Settings tab you'll find the plugin's individual MIDI input and output ports.  That's how you assign a different MIDI channel to a plugin.  Now if you're not already aware of it, in that same panel in the Processing tab, you'll find the Connections section.  You can use that in conjunction with Spark's Mixer panel to individually route each drum to a separate channel in FL Studio.

I see. Am I correct in thinking that when every drum is routed to a separate channel in FL, you can use both the studio and mixer section of Spark and the channel mixer section of FL to create the desired effects on the drums ? 

What I tried was this: first in the wrapper connection section I selected auto map outputs. Then I went to the mixer section of Spark and there I enabled the option '' Outputs 16 outs '' way below. This seems to have given every drumsound a seperate channel in the FL mixer, which is handy I think. I've added a screenshot too. Is this what you meant ?

http://postimg.org/image/ddhcxgwob/

Still not sure what I did when I selected 'auto map outputs'  ;D  8) But it works; I can add a delay on the drumsound in Spark and then a reverb in FL and the sound is modulated by both.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:31:36 am by Blanco_Beats »

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:33:03 pm »
Thanks man I think I understand this. Some virtual mediator is needed with some plugins, though Spark seems to function without it but not completely seamlessly. Also I didn't realize the plugin created midi-information. I thought that was strictly limited to controllers like a keyboard, or Spark Le etc..

If you look over in the KVR plugin database, you can find all sorts of plugins that generate MIDI:  Virtual MIDI keyboards, MIDI Arpeggiators, Step Sequencers, Algorithmic Generators, etc.

When you see how other hosts work with these type of plugins versus how FL Studio handles them, then you may see some workflow differences.

I've tried this and it works. Quite handy indeed. However it would mean opening Spark 2.0, say, 5 times if you have 5 different drum sequences right ?

Also I noticed that when I play 1 spark pattern in Fl, all the spark patterns start to play simultaneously. I have to stop them one by one except the one I want to hear at that moment. Do you have the same ? I created a song with two patterns of Spark, bot of them played all the time while in the pattern sequencer of FL I had one of them play and then the other. Hmz. Can't say it's functional at the moment.

No, you shouldn't have to open Spark more than once.  Each "song" in Spark can contain 4 banks of 16 patterns for a total of 64 patterns.  So you'd export each of them individually to an separate pattern in FL Studio then arrange the patterns in FL Studio's Playlist panel.  Make sure FL Studio is set to playback a Song versus a Pattern (next to the pause button).  I suspect that you could be hearing more than one pattern because you have your HOST button on in Spark.  You're probably hearing the notes generated from FL's piano roll while Spark 2 is also playing a sequence at the same time.  So turn off the HOST button.  Essentially you'll want FL Studio to "drive" Spark. Then you should only be hearing only one pattern at a time.

I see. Am I correct in thinking that when every drum is routed to a separate channel in FL, you can use both the studio and mixer section of Spark and the channel mixer section of FL to create the desired effects on the drums ? 

What I tried was this: first in the wrapper connection section I selected auto map outputs. Then I went to the mixer section of Spark and there I enabled the option '' Outputs 16 outs '' way below. This seems to have given every drumsound a seperate channel in the FL mixer, which is handy I think. I've added a screenshot too. Is this what you meant ?

http://postimg.org/image/ddhcxgwob/

Still not sure what I did when I selected 'auto map outputs'  ;D  8) But it works; I can add a delay on the drumsound in Spark and then a reverb in FL and the sound is modulated by both.

Cheers !

Yes, it gives you individual control over each separate drum inside FL Studio.  Auto Mapping the outputs is just assigning each individual Spark output to its own track in FL Studio sequentially.

To keep the explanation simple...  In Spark, the Bass Drum is typically sent to Master/Out 1 and the Snare is typically sent to Out 2, etc.  If you wanted to wanted Out 1 to be on Track 17 and Out 2 to be on Track 13 in FL Studio however, then instead of Auto Mapping you'd physically map those outputs to the tracks in FL Studio in that Connections section. 

TOMAKS

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »
Please, is it possible to route individual outputs through virtual midi port on SparkLE?? Could you destribe it? Sorry, I´m kinda new to midi stuff and im just lost in it :(

Thanks, Tomas

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:35 pm »
It is my understanding that you cannot record MIDI information that's generated from a plugin from within FL Studio.  So if you created an entire song inside Spark and played it back, FL Studio would not record the sequence because the MIDI information is generated from the Spark plugin itself.  For that, you would need to grab a copy of the either the Jack Audio Connection Kit, LoopBe1, loopMIDI, or some other virtual MIDI port.

Routing individual outputs from Spark is more of an audio issue though and a lot easier to configure.  First go into Spark 2's mixer panel and at the very bottom change the Outputs setting from "Master" to "16 outs."  Inside FL Studio click on the gear icon and then the "VST wrapper settings" icon.  You'll be presented with two two tabs: a Settings tab and a Processing tab.  Click on Processing.  In the Connections settings you'll then need to map each output to an individual channel.  Clicking "Auto Map Outputs" can also quickly do that for you.  For example, if you need to start your bass drum (first drum) on channel four, you can set 1 to output to 4 and then click "Auto Map Outputs" and the rest will be output sequentially from there.

Hope that makes sense.... Let me know if it doesn't.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines