April 20, 2024, 04:44:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MatrixBrute Videos & Pictures  (Read 5065 times)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
MatrixBrute Videos & Pictures
« on: January 24, 2016, 02:28:50 am »
Most in-depth video about the MatrixBrute I've seen from NAMM 2016!
(after seeing the initial videos, listing all the sections and features, of course)

Arturia MatrixBrute Namm 2016 by Flux302 of Fluxwithit.com

That link is part of my MatrixBrute playlist :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:30:01 am by Koshdukai »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: MatrixBrute Videos & Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:31:43 am »
Found these that allow a closer look of the panel:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:44:48 pm by Koshdukai »

mcx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »
Something got me confused about this arturia, let's say I use matrixbank a1 (or other space in user memory) make a patch let's say half the dails are at 9 10 11 and 12 o'clock etc so I now save this ,I then move to free bank let's say a 2 ,  my dials are now 5 6 7 8 o clock I save that now I go back to a1 that has my previous patch stored but of course now my dials are not where they were and as I've been noodling for over an hour I can't quite get the sound back to where it was ,ok so a1 is gone replaced with something different, so the answer is do what I already do with synth and take a pic of my positions so what would be the point of saving my own pre sets if without a photo I won't know we're I was ,I know it's early days to ask about a product that's not out for a few months  but I was just wondering what to do , something as simple as this won't put me off from synth just found it a bit confusing

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:56:37 pm »
of course now my dials are not where they were and as I've been noodling for over an hour I can't quite get the sound back to where it was
You're describing what happens with any/most existing synths with preset save/recall. Each time you load a preset, the patch will sound exactly like it was saved and because of that, what's visually represented by the physical knob/fader positions will be "un-synced" with the recalled internal "positions" (voltage values) i.e. most likely on the "wrong" positions for the sound you're hearing.

That's why, when you tweak a control, that parameter value will "jump" (depends on the control mode: hard jump, relative jump, catch-up, etc) from the internal value to the value physically imposed by that tweaked knob.

I don't know if Arturia plans to do a soft-editor companion app or a VST "bridge" to the MatrixBrute, but if they do, I guess that's one way for you to see a (virtual) visual representation of where the physical control positions were supposed to be for whatever loaded patch.

I guess this "panel un-syncing" is an accepted fact on all electronic instruments with patch save/recall.
To have a "what you hear is what you see on the panel" would need either motorized knobs and faders, a touchscreen based panel (like the iPad) or using endless rotaries with LED rings to show their position, which funny enough, MatrixBrute uses on the MOD rotary, I think :)

Something that could help to mitigate this would be to have all the movable controls touch-sensitive and a display (almost like BeatStepPRO), showing its internal value, helping to physically move (if that's really important to you) the control to that value/position.

If all the above has nothing to do with your question, sorry... I did my best to help :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:27:59 am by Koshdukai »

mcx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:38 am »
No that's fine I understand what you are saying , it would make sense to have some sort of editor to show where your dials and faders are, I guess we all have weird questions about the synth until some reviewer gets there hands on one to put all our minds at rest , did you say endless encoders with illumination to show your positions cool great ,sorry I've only seen 3 vids so far worthy of watching maybe I should research them as I was drinking this weekend whilst hunting down various different namm vids :)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:41 am »
did you say endless encoders with illumination to show your positions cool great
I think MatrixBrute has 1 of those, for the "Mod Amount" (check the pictures above) which is actually an inevitable solution on that specific case or else, editing the mod amount of each mod node in the Matrix would be a bit harder to accomplish.

I suspect that having that type of knob setup on every panel control would make the price of the MatrixBrute much higher without any critically needed improvement on the instrument, IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:32:29 pm by Koshdukai »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:15:38 am »
Something got me confused about this arturia, let's say I use matrixbank a1 (or other space in user memory) make a patch let's say half the dails are at 9 10 11 and 12 o'clock etc so I now save this ,I then move to free bank let's say a 2 ,  my dials are now 5 6 7 8 o clock I save that now I go back to a1 that has my previous patch stored but of course now my dials are not where they were and as I've been noodling for over an hour I can't quite get the sound back to where it was ,ok so a1 is gone replaced with something different, so the answer is do what I already do with synth and take a pic of my positions so what would be the point of saving my own pre sets if without a photo I won't know we're I was ,I know it's early days to ask about a product that's not out for a few months  but I was just wondering what to do , something as simple as this won't put me off from synth just found it a bit confusing
Many programmable synths with potentiometers offer three modes for the knob editing:
 - Absolute: jumps to wherever the knob is when you start turning it.
 - Relative: makes changes relative to the current value of the knobs parameter, possibly compressing and expanding the parameter range on either side of the current knob position to always give you the full range and when you reach one of the end positions it reverts to normal operation.
 - Catch up: no change occurs when you turn a knob until it reaches the programmed position, whereby it reverts to normal operation.
Some synths have an indication of the programmed value vs the knob value.

I encourage Arturia to include these three modes in the MB, using the display to show the programmed value and the current knob value (the display can revert to matrix outputs names a couple of seconds after the knob tweaking has stopped).

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:32:39 am »
I encourage Arturia to include these three modes in the MB, using the display to show the programmed value and the current knob value (the display can revert to matrix outputs names a couple of seconds after the knob tweaking has stopped).
Not sure if the e-ink has a fast enough refresh-rate for that. I guess the Preset display would be the right choice (if that's not being done already... hmmm... apparently not, from the videos I'm re-watching now).

Edit: oh and that displayed value would always be an approximation of the real internal value, since that display is only 3 chars/digits (so, maybe 0.00%..100%) and the internal values are 12bit (0..4095 / -2048..2047) according to one of the videos with Glen Darcey.

...it's funny, even while watching the videos I'm already detecting some bugs ;D (the 1/8 & 1/16 buttons both lit?!) which is natural at this early stage :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:15:20 pm by Koshdukai »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:32 am »
Not sure if the e-ink has a fast enough refresh-rate for that. I guess the Preset numeric display would be the right choice (if that's not being done already... hmmm... apparently not, from the videos I'm re-watching now).
Ah yes, the E-ink... Hey Arturia, how about using something other than an E-ink display? Not only for speed but for longevity as well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:40:34 am by DrJustice »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:52 am »
Hey Arturia, how about using something other than an E-ink display? Not only for speed but for longevity as well.
I think e-ink is more reliable than most display technologies :D
Edit: Check this video ;)

But the choice was made because it's an easy to get part for a long time. That's explained on the video I linked to on the top post of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:49:27 am by Koshdukai »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:32 pm »
I think e-ink is more reliable than most display technologies :D
Edit: Check this video ;)

But the choice was made because it's an easy to get part for a long time. That's explained on the video I linked to on the top post of this thread.
Yes, I saw the video - very informative. By longevity, I'm thinking about the display operation life, not mechanical durability. E-ink deteriorates (blurs and smudges with updates and age) in a way that e.g. LCD doesn't. Perhaps the very latest ones are better in this respect? E-ink is also a single source part, as opposed to the wide variety of industry standard LCD displays available from a high number of sources and most likely still produced several decades from now. Single source is a risk in electronics manufacturing.

If they chose LCD/OLED, that would open up for other uses of the display as we discussed. Parameter display, perhaps a modulation scope ala Korg Minilogue that sort of thing. I also wonder if the chosen E-ink display is lit(?)

In sum, I find the choice of E-ink puzzling for this application. I suspect part of it is simply the novelty and design values ;)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:07 pm »
By longevity, I'm thinking about the display operation life, not mechanical durability. E-ink deteriorates (blurs and smudges with updates and age) in a way that e.g. LCD doesn't. Perhaps the very latest ones are better in this respect? E-ink is also a single source part, as opposed to the wide variety of industry standard LCD displays available from a high number of sources and most likely still produced several decades from now. Single source is a risk in electronics manufacturing.

If they chose LCD/OLED, that would open up for other uses of the display as we discussed. Parameter display, perhaps a modulation scope ala Korg Minilogue that sort of thing. I also wonder if the chosen E-ink display is lit(?)

In sum, I find the choice of E-ink puzzling for this application. I suspect part of it is simply the novelty and design values ;)
Oh I see, yeah, let's hope the one being used has better longevity.

About the choice, Glen Darcey explains why here: https://youtu.be/4cVTFxEw8FY?t=10m28s

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:58 pm »
Another video with some extra insights on the "beast" :)

Talking Arturia Matrix Brute: Origins and Behind the Scenes...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines