April 29, 2024, 04:40:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: recording midi data from sequencer inside Sonar  (Read 1540 times)

BongSong

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
recording midi data from sequencer inside Sonar
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:58 pm »
Hello Beatsteppers!

I am considering the purchase of Beatstep Pro, but need some assistance.

I'll be using the Beatstep in Sonar 8.5.3 on Windows 7 64 bit.

My main question is this, can the Beatstep Pro send midi data from the sequencers to the tracks in Sonar? I own the SparkLe and after several years of trying to do this, I have given up. For whatever reason, it would not or could not send midi data from the sequencer. It could send midi data from the 8 pads without issue. Yeah, strange.

Hence my focus on Beatstep Pro!

I'll explain how  I want to use the Beatstep Pro with Sonar.

Say  I have 3 instrument tracks in Sonar, Arturia, Demension Le and Rapture Le.

I'll be playing these soft synths with my Arturia key-lab 49 key midi controller.

I would create my sequences on the Beatstep Pro hardware, and it would send the midi data of those 3 sequences back to the 3 soft synth tracks inside Sonar? This way if those 3 soft synth tracks are armed and Sonar is recording, it would record all of the midi data from my live performance on the Beatstep Pro?

I mean performance as in playing 1 sequence for a bit, start another one, stop that and start up another one, etc.

Additionally, I could use all of that midi data for another project in the future. I could use the same midi data but different soft synths, etc.

I think this can be done by dragging and dropping patterns into Sonar, but I can't do this. I am blind and use screen reading software. Its almost impossible to drag and drop via the computer keyboard and not the mouse.

So in closing, can this be done? And if so, can it be done out of the box or do  I have to sit down and program everything.

I apologize if I was too verbose. I am not all that familiar with the workings of midi and midi controllers in general. I have tried explaining what  I want to accomplish the best way I could. :)

Thanks.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: recording midi data from sequencer inside Sonar
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:47:14 am »
You shouldn't have an issue recording the midi data from the BSP.  I have done it many times using a hardware sequencer with no problem.  If you can't do it with your DAW, I'd be looking for what is not set correctly within it.  For such a thing to occur with the BSP would mean a serious failure somewhere, as the purpose of a midi sequencer is to, at the very least, output midi note data.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines