April 27, 2024, 05:24:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: octave buttons  (Read 2243 times)

dog01

octave buttons
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:24:50 am »
Hi

so I have  a very basic question what midi messages  are being sent when you press the oct- oct+ in sequencer mode on the beatstep the reason i would like to know  because i want to map the oct- oct+ buttons on the beatstep pro in controller mode to perform the same function as they do in sequencer mode is this possible?

so basically what i want is  in control mode when the  oct- and oct + pads are pressed they transpose the other pads up or down octaves just like they do the sequencer mode hope that make sense 

regards dog01   

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: octave buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:50:57 am »
Hey dog01,

I don't think any midi messages are sent when those pads are pressed while the act as oct+/- buttons.  Nothing lights up on my midi analyser box when I use them, no instrument's midi led's flash nor is any data recorded (no CC's or N/RPN's) when I am recording the midi using a regular midi sequencer.  There is a slim chance that there is some form of (hexcode) sysex transmitted, but I doubt it as the octave buttons only control which octave the BSP's pad are using and nothing outside of it.  I've not checked the midi console in MCC or the midiox midi monitor, but I don't have a computer in the studio and am too lazy to unplug my BSP right now ;)

MarkD
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

dog01

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:47:25 am »
thanks for the reply.

You are right that no midi message are seen but all midi controller have octave buttons i just wonder if you i could map it as program change or nrpn rpns or cc. i did test the beatstep pro with midiox and MCC before i posted this.

I tried google to no avail, i am not great with midi to begin with but thats usual because i have to use hex code or binary to try and do stuff. I guess i will hook up a midi controller and see what happens when i press the octave button when it hook up to midiox and reverse engineer from there. Whatever i find i will post up in the free speech section or something.

Regards dog01   

dog01

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:28:51 am »

so i tried with a normal midi controler no midi messages sent out so i guess it an internal thing to add or minus 12 from the pitch of any key when the button active

if anyone else has any more info i be keen to know how it works.

regards dog01 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines