March 28, 2024, 07:03:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to get good sound?  (Read 3996 times)

UPC04539

How to get good sound?
« on: December 30, 2017, 05:31:02 pm »
Hi,

I get a very good sound when using Analog factory on my PC headphones.  But when I go through my external sound card or headphone jack to connect to amplified speakers via an external mixer, the sound is not as tight.  I am wondering if I need to add external hardware such as a compressor in order to get an as tight sound as I get on my headphone?  Or is the type of amplifier, mixer and speakers a probable cause of the sound not being as tight?  Some part of the sounds sounds good, other are just bleh... other are just really annoying... but not on my headphones.

I am not too sure where to look for an answer on that.  I believe it's not just an issue with Analog factory, but with my setup in general.  Because, when I play music via this system, again the sound is not as tight.  I played with the TMB adjustments to get better sound, and I get a good results when playing music from MP3's or such.  But not from Analog Factory or even other software like Moog Modular or Reason.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

LBH

Re: How to get good sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:59 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tight".
If the soundsource is the same, then it's about other things.

Your soundcard, amplifier, mixer and connections does does have an impact on your sound, just like the soundsource have.
The speakers and your own placement in your room, - your rooms dimensions - and what's in your room have a huge impact on your sound no matter the quality of your equiptment.
Acoustics is quite a science.

Sound is colered by the equiptment you use.
Listening in headphones or to speakers is'nt the same either.

Using eq's, compressors and other things, can also have an impact on sound.

There can be many factors.

There is'nt a single simple answer to your question.

I can only suggest you study all this and experiment.

UPC04539

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:20:57 am »
thanks for the reply.  before experimenting though i am trying to get a more precise idea of what to test first.  musical hardware isnt cheap so I need to get to the solution without too much of an investment. 

any advice for a live setup?  that might explain a bit what im looking for as a solution.  i use the software in a band context with 2 speakers and  1800 watt amplifier.  the mixer is a Allen & Heath mixwizard 16:2.  my external soundcard is a simple audiobox presonus.  i tried also the headphone jack of my laptop with no audible improvement.

so i am basically trying to find out if there is some basic hardware that should be in anybsetup.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:20 am »
Perhaps you are looking for a compressor/ limiter. I can't tell for sure. But it's not only the tools, but the usage that works. Perhaps it's about programming your sounds differently. Perhaps both.
Mastering EQ and compression i think many will say is very important. But if those tools are needed for you i can't tell for sure. But perhaps. Compression/ limitation can in some cases make things tighter, the way i understand tight. but what compressor for example? That's a matter of preferences and perhaps about money too.  And as said it's about mastering the tool.
But it can also be about EQ.

When say experiment, then you can also experiment without buying more equiptment.
And you can also try equiptment out before buying.

If your mixer have or can use software compressors and other sound tools, or you have a DAW that can, then you can also try that, to see if that's the direction for what you need.
And as said, you can also experiment with your preset programming, and other things for that matter.

I hope you solve your sound issue some way or another. Good luck.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:01:38 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines