April 28, 2024, 08:15:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Problems using BSP with Minimoog Model D and ARP Odyssey via CV-Gate  (Read 4059 times)

Polymoog

• Apprentice
Hi everyone, new user here after receiving my long-awaited BSP for Christmas yesterday. Sadly I've immediately run into problems trying to hook it up to my synths - a 1976 Minimoog and a 1978 Odyssey.

First off I've installed MCC on my laptop and upgraded the BSP to the latest OS version.

I've then used MCC to set the SEQ1 gate type to S-Trig (as the Mini uses an s-trig input), and used Store To to send this to the BSP. MCC tells me its been saved to the working memory, although there is no indication on the BSP itself that any transfer has happened - I assume this is normal?

I've then connected the Mini to the BSP SEQ1 outputs using an s-trig cable for the gate and cv cable to the osc control. In theory I should then be able play the Mini using the SEQ1 keyboard pads, but no. The pads do not trigger the synth. Similarly if i write a few notes into the sequence and hit play nothing happens  from the Mini.

If I trigger the synth with its own keyboard I can hear that the BSP is changing the notes, so the CV is getting through, although annoyingly it is playing several octaves higher than the synth is set to even though my 0V note is set to C-2. Annoying!

So far so frustrating. I then tried connecting to my ARP Odyssey, using the BSP set to v-trig gate as that's what the Oddy uses. Again - nothing from the synth. This time triggering Oddy's own keyboard with the BSP sequence runnign just gave me a high constant pitch - near ultrasonic. No note changes.

So, two analogue synths unable to communicate with the BSP via the cv-gate ports. What is happening? Am I doing something wrong? I've had no problems playing the both synths via a Kenton Pro Solo midi-cv converter in the past, using the very same cables, so I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.

Oh an one extra problem - I get a lot of connection errors when plugging the BSP into the laptop or storing from MCC, either saying device disconnected when it plainly isn't, or that it's in use by another application (again not that I can see), etc. Very flaky.

Any ideas, or has getting the BSP been a huge mistake?

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:49:08 pm by Polymoog »

Polymoog

• Apprentice
Re: Problems using BSP with Minimoog Model D and ARP Odyssey via CV-Gate
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
Update: Have got the Odyssey working - it needs both a trigger and gate signal, so I had to use the Velo cv from the BSP as the trig in, which means losing filter cutoff control  >:(

This leads me to think the Minimoog problem is s-trig related too, and that perhaps the BSP isn't talking to the Mini's s-trig input in a way it understands.

It's all fairly academic though because the lowest note I can get out of the Odyssey is not very low at all, even with the BSP set at 0V=C-2, transposed own two octaves, and the Oddy tuned down as far as it will go. Still no bass notes to be had.

Looks like the BSP is a very pretty paperweight when it comes to synth cv-gate control, and unless I'm missing something, it's going back for a refund.  :(

Scratch that - I've found the transpose button - we have bass!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:43:52 pm by Polymoog »

synthestisia

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:08 pm »
Having very similar issues with my Moog Werkstatt-01! Do you have any tips for me? It says in the MCC the "store to" function overwrites the memory of the project you save it to, and I've already done some composing with Ableton and my MS-20 mini via USB and MIDI. Not sure if I had the S/V trig correct, but if I save it to ANY project, will it affect the entire BSP, as opposed to writing over memory I've already stored? Lots of questions. Basically, I just need help getting my BSP to trigger my Werkstatt.  >:(
Analog gear is supposed to just work. I'm relatively new to CV, but I'm doing exactly what the YouTubers are doing with no success. I'm also using Koma attenuator cables so I don't fry my Werkstatt, which only wants 5V.

the beauty and belief soc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:41:17 pm »
It wasn't a huge mistake. You'll grow to love it.

You can edit all of these in MIDI control center. Your mini is Hz/V.
Your Arp might be too, if it's the Korg remake. Haven't had a chance to check...

This should come in handy.

“00” = Ronald / Arp / Sequential Volts Per Octave +Gate Pulse C0 to C5
“01” = Yamaha / Korg Hertz Per Octave - S/Trig C-1 to C5
“02” = Moog Volts Per Octave +S/Trig C0 to C5
“03” = Ronald / Arp / Sequential Volts Per Octave +Gate Pulse C-1 to C4
“04” = Yamaha / Korg Hertz Per Octave - S/Trig C-2 to C4
“05” = Moog Volts Per Octave +S/Trig C-1 to C4

Each instrument should have some sort of section for converting signal. Not entirely sure...but I do know the MS20 does.

Roland=24ppqn
Korg=48ppqn
Linn/Oberheim=96ppqn(should be adjustable)

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - read this in a rush out the door. Good luck!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines