April 28, 2024, 07:33:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: External start/stop trigger possible?  (Read 3970 times)

jdosher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
External start/stop trigger possible?
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:11:17 am »
I've looked over the BSP manual but didn't find the answer to my question. Is there a way to start/stop BSP remotely when it's the master clock (in fact, the only clock)? Here's what I'm going for:

I'm looking into the idea of using a BSP to trigger one of my hardware synths in order to add in some synth and sequenced elements into one of my bands. My hands are usually full playing guitar, so I need a way to control the BSP with a midi foot controller. Ideally I'd like the ability to do the following:

1) Start/stop the BSP via MIDI CC
2) Trigger the BSP via MIDI notes to play in a pitched fashion - i.e. playing a C on a midi controller (McMillen 12Step in this case) causes the BSP to play a sequence as programmed, playing a D transposes the sequence up.

Note, I've tried the laptop route and it's not what I'm looking for in this context. I already have enough gear to manage with my guitar rig, so I want a hardware solution that's as simple as possible.

jdosher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: External start/stop trigger possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:12 pm »
Hm. I posted this two days ago in 'General Discussion', and in 'Technical Questions' yesterday and no one has offered any advice. Should I just assume the answer is 'not possible' and look for a different solution than a BSP? I'll assume that's the case since I can't find anything about it in the manual.

:-\
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:34:01 am by jdosher »

Zymos

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:16:25 pm »
2) should be fairly easy, if I understand what you want to do- transpose a sequence that is playing? While the BSP is running, a note coming in to the MIDI in will transpose it. So anything that can send different notes should do the job- I know a Behringer FCB1010 would work, and assume the McMillen would too. Have you tried to do this, or are you just asking if it will work before purchasing?

1) is a bit more tricky, because Start/Stop are different messages than just sending CC. I'm sure their are translators out there (hardware) that can remap a CC to a Start/Stop message, and there are probably plenty of apps that can do it too (though I know,you don't want to use a computer).

jdosher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:50:56 pm »
Thanks for the response, Zymos.

Yeah, I don't have a BSP yet (but I do have a McMillen 12-step). The 12-step can send regular midi notes (it's a 1 octave foot keyboard), and it can also send CC. Similar to the BSP, it has a desktop app that can be used to configure it. So sounds like I'm good on #2.

I see that midi start and stop are System Real Time Messages, not CCs. So yeah, that complicates that. I suppose I could add a drum machine to the equation to serve as the system clock - one with in input jack for a start/stop switch. A laptop seems like the obvious solution in terms of flexibility, but when I went that route recently I just found myself having to deal with an overly complicated system. Too many wires, power supplies, usb cables, audio interfaces, driver and software issues, etc. In my studio at home I'm willing to deal with that, but setting up for a show I just can't afford the time and frustration of all that extra gear when I already have my guitar rig to deal with. Hence the desire to keep it as simple as possible.

-Jesse

Zymos

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:40:54 pm »
One other thing I just thought of- I think when you transpose with external MIDI, it does not latch, it's only while you hold the note, then when you release it goes back to the programmed notes.
I can give it a try later to make sure about that part, unless someone else knows for sure...

turbo_kev

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »
Hi

you can set it to latch / or not latch  in the MCC

cheers
kev
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

jdosher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »
Just to make sure I understand - what does the BSP do if it's stopped and it receives a note on midi in? Does it just pass the note through, or does it "play" the pattern currently loaded until the note stops?

Attaching a chromatic midi foot controller/keyboard to a hardware synth is easy - press a "key", synth plays a note, release key, synth stops. So really my question is: Can I stick a BSP between the two and now have a hardware step sequencer, "playable" via the foot controller? Press a note, play a groovy sequence, lift up foot, sequence stops, bandmate's jaws drop at my amazing skillz, crowd goes wild. ;-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines