April 27, 2024, 03:09:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Tr8, mopho and evolver.  (Read 3229 times)

Nickylunes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Tr8, mopho and evolver.
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:44:35 am »
Hi everyone , please excuse my naivety but I'm new to the BSP. could anyone tell me if I could sequence my tr8 , mopho and evolver all together from the BSP? Thanks in advance .

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tr8, mopho and evolver.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:41:14 am »
They all have midi. Assuming you can set them to the required midi channels of  1 (Seq1), 2 (Seq2) and 10 (Drum) no reason it won't work as far as I can tell.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:31:34 am »
Remember to make the right settings in your Evolver patch too.  You will need to set each patch you want to sequence with the BSP to trigger via midi and the midi-in transpose setting also.  A lot of the preset patches in the Evolver are programmed to not respond to midi notes but trigger the envelopes via both midi and the on-board sequencer.
Also (and you may already know this), your Evolver will start and stop with the BSP, so each time you press play on the BSP the Evolver sequencer will start as well.  This can be fun, but since the Evolver is a monosynth, more often it makes the synth sound like a confused free jazz musician.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Nickylunes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:10 am »
That's awesome , thanks for your help . Do I need to get a midi interface then as there's only one midi in port ? Would an M audio midisport 4x4 be the kind of thing I'm looking for ? Thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »
No you don't, just plug the midi-out from your BSP to your Evolver and set the Evolver midi channel to match the channel one of the sequencer on the BSP (Evolver midi channel select is top menu row, line two, dial 7).  As the Evolver is a monosynth, it will only run on one midi channel, so you can run the midi chain thru to your other instruments via the Evolver midi-thru port.

All that said, you don't need to start the midi chain with the Evolver, both the Mopho and the Tr8 have midi-in/out/thru also, so you can start with either of them, just do the same as I have described above.  Set the Evolver and Mopho to midi channels 1 and  2, with the Tr8 set to 10.

Your BSP can act as a USB midi interface, a Midisport4 is just a (nostalgic reissue of a) USB midi interface (from 2000) with 4 in's and 4 outs and needs to be connected to a computer to run.  Not really necessary for three instruments unless you are sequencing them with a computer.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Nickylunes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »
Thank you so much for advice . Don't you just love a good forum . Thanks everyone . I'm sold!

Nickylunes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 04:07:14 pm »
No you don't, just plug the midi-out from your BSP to your Evolver and set the Evolver midi channel to match the channel one of the sequencer on the BSP (Evolver midi channel select is top menu row, line two, dial 7).  As the Evolver is a monosynth, it will only run on one midi channel, so you can run the midi chain thru to your other instruments via the Evolver midi-thru port.

All that said, you don't need to start the midi chain with the Evolver, both the Mopho and the Tr8 have midi-in/out/thru also, so you can start with either of them, just do the same as I have described above.  Set the Evolver and Mopho to midi channels 1 and  2, with the Tr8 set to 10.

Your BSP can act as a USB midi interface, a Midisport4 is just a (nostalgic reissue of a) USB midi interface (from 2000) with 4 in's and 4 outs and needs to be connected to a computer to run.  Not really necessary for three instruments unless you are sequencing them with a computer. The mopho and tr8 don't have midi thru actually . Is this still possible ?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:15:20 am »
The both the Mopho and the TR8 have midi thru, but you need to tell them to echo the midi in on the midi out in the system settings.  You will need to check your manuals for them to find where to set them the send midi thru via their midi out ports.

From the Mopho manual:

From the TR8 manual:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:27:57 am by megamarkd »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines