April 27, 2024, 07:46:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What the BSP CAN do for me/you?  (Read 2473 times)

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • people who play live life to the fullest
What the BSP CAN do for me/you?
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:56:42 am »
Hi, all,
Maybe I'm a little unorthodox in this approach, but the BSP is capable of doing a lot for us out of the box, combined with the latest firmware updates.
Most threads -rightfully- point out problems with the BSP and diverse hard- and software combinations. We users give the developers a hard time pointing out the shortcomings, and perhaps we forget too easily that this gear works great for some hard/softwarecombo's as well.

Maybe a small thread could be dedicated to ways in wich the BSP did achieve improvements to your particular setup?
The BSP is not 'a finished product' in the sense that it will tie all your CV/MIDI/USB controlled hardware together. But it's a brave attempt, and pointing out what we can do with it is just as important as pointing out what we can't (yet) do with it.

Just to start this thread with a small example:

I use the BSP to sequence an Access Virus B thru MIDI Ch1 on both sequences, and simultaneously a Volca Beats thru Midi Ch10. I use a simple 3€ stereo mini-jack male to 2 stereo mini-jack female and both mini-jack to MIDI cables that came with the BSP to do this.
And it works :D
That's a huge upgrade from the humble BeatStep, no?

What works for you?
Arturia Laboratory 61 AE, V-collection 6, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute, Bitwig2.1, windows 10

RichMakeGame

Re: What the BSP CAN do for me/you?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:03:33 am »
I think it's really cool you can program a melody on one of the sequencers, so you have some note changes going on, and then use gates from a drum track instead and randomly play around with when the gate is triggered. good fun

that midi out splitting technique is pretty genius by the way!

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:41 am »
I've only had it a week and not fully fluent with it yet but one thing I can say is I love the random and probability buttons applied to percussion. This is now my percussion pattern editor of choice.

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • people who play live life to the fullest
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:41 am »
I've only had it a week and not fully fluent with it yet but one thing I can say is I love the random and probability buttons applied to percussion. This is now my percussion pattern editor of choice.
Add the swing factor and this machine does some interesting things with your beats :D
Arturia Laboratory 61 AE, V-collection 6, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute, Bitwig2.1, windows 10

Airyck

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:12 pm »
I love how you can determine the length of a gate by holding one step then pressing another while still holding the first. I've always thought this should be a standard design on all sequencers but this is the first I've actually seen it implemented on.

I also like how the software updates the BSP instantly.  For example I was setting up a custom drum map for my volca beats and I could just move the knob in the software and hit the pad until the correct drum sounded. 

The whole knob to pitch in the melodic sequencer really helps me create some unique melodies I wouldn't normally write.  It's great how all settings can be saved to different projects so things can constantly change and grow and there is enough space for an entire live performance which has always been something that seems to be lacking in most hardware.

I've only just got mine and still have a lot of exploring to do.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines