March 28, 2024, 05:34:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Alternative USB power cable for SparkLE  (Read 2362 times)

Seiishu

Alternative USB power cable for SparkLE
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:41:51 am »
Hey you valuable forum members,

Just wanted to post couple of photos I just took. I finally managed to find this 6' USB A (regular USB) to Right Angle USB Mini B cable.
Since my work desk is fairly small, my keyboard, mouse and SparkLE are pretty crammed together. Original USB power cable is great, but it's not angled and since I'm right-handed, it was "fighting" with my mouse and everything else on the desk.

I was on a lookout for this 6' USB A (regular USB) to Right Angle USB Mini B cable, and regardless of how unbelievable that sounds... it's impossible to find it in Toronto. I've literally checked every single store that might deal with these types of cables, and yet none of them had them. Even worse, they never have them in stock. The only way to get your hands on one of these, is to order either directly from the StarTech.com (they make them), or any other distributor in this area... or of course from China, eBay, Amazon and whatnot... I am type of a person who can't wait 2 weeks for stuff to be delivered, I like to pay cash and pick up my product on the spot.

I'm writing this just because I am pretty sure there are some other people who wondered where to get these cables. To tell the truth, I am not sure why Arturia opted in to create this power cable on the side in the first place. It would be more logical if it's at the back of the unit, like many other units of this type... well, if you want to stack your equipment differently, that could cause additional problems too... so there really is no perfect solution.

Anyway, I solved my problem with this Right Angle Mini USB by ordering it from CanadaComputers, and in two days I got it delivered to my local store.
Code for this cable is: USB2HABM6RA

Yes, one more thing... these cables come without Ferrite Chokes, but I had some snap'on laying around, so I simply installed it. It's literally snap on, no cable cutting or anything like that required. Ferrite chokes are pretty simple anyway.

This is the one I installed:

More about ferrite chokes here: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

Here is couple of shots how it looks like now...

CC4

• Beta-testers
Re: Alternative USB power cable for SparkLE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:55:43 pm »
 Thanks for the educational information on "ferrite beads."  My original SparkLE USB cable is getting a bit flaky and probably should be replaced soon.

Seiishu

Re: Alternative USB power cable for SparkLE
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:29 pm »
No problem my friend. I had no clue myself, but couple of weeks ago, after a quick search, pretty simple page popped up explaining how simple these things actually are. You can see insides when you're attaching these snap-on ones.

This L-shaped, right angle mini USB is great. Never on my way when my SparkLE is connected.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines