April 28, 2024, 10:40:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Buy or not o buy Origin.  (Read 4978 times)

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Buy or not o buy Origin.
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:57:02 am »
Hi!
I'm new here so welcome everybody.
I'm here because I'm interested in orygin kb ,I'm testing it right now..
I found orygin very user friendly and easy to program on its own.
But I'm afraid of  depending on manufacturer to release updates, afraid that after a couple of months
they gave up with their product, and I will lost a lot of money.
I had similliar story with denon hs5500 ... Which was after 1,5year put 50off price and discontinued without support f..ckn Denon! It was their flagship..:) The same with Korg z8 mixer.
I read Your reports on bugs requests without answer and so...I dont want to have the same story as i had before. Idont like computer handling with orygin and lack of midi out of sequencers.
I have Mg Voyager, with Mgerfoogers, I own modular synth which Is still growing (8 osc:)),
Virus polar, dsi mopho evolver.
Should I get it?
Please advice me and Thank You for interest.

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Buy or not o buy Origin.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:17:21 pm »
Anyone? ???

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:24:21 pm »
Origin is unique and sounds amazing, so my advice would to get one, but since i love it i may not be too objective. If after your tests you like this KB, buy it for what it does TODAY, so you won't be disappointed tomorrow, the OS est very stable right now. but we know that arturia is working on an update right now (see some threads about it), so take it as "plus" when they come out.

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
Thank You!
Problem is that I'm not fully satisfied today, and it lacks some minor simple things..like
Patch management computer/kb and  seq midi out. I know that analog stuff doesnt have such a things (dsi has) but arturia is strictly software core based instrument  and  in software world  it should be flawless with all ringband bells...
Waiting for Arturia to make and praying not to dump origin to trash after poor sale make me nervous...
I wouldn't be so sceptic normally but after readin this forum, I became very carful ...
Or am I little overreacting..:)

Syndromeda

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:46:42 am »
Don't think about it - just buy it!!!
Life is music and music is life.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:31:32 am »
Hi,

Origin is a great piece of work, but those things you said about computer integration is an obvious weakness. I've been asking again and again for better integration: Editor and Librarian. I've said it thousand times: almost all much lower level products have it and it's a shame that this over 2000euros product does not have better integration.

To take another comparison. I resently bought used Korg Radias (which is released in 2006). To get an idea how it should work in Origin, you can think about Radias Sound Editor: you can open all those downloadable soundbanks from internet as individual windows on your computer screen and then if I choose one preset from any window I can immediately check how it sounds. And importing it to Radias takes less than a second! (Why the h**l does it take so long in Origin??) Then If I wanna make my own Sound bank I can open a New window and drag and drop all of those presets from any other windows how I like. Point is, that this way everything happens very fast and everything is in perfect order. In Origin, it's very slow and hard to keep it organized...

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:04 pm »
I own radias....its has good integration.
These days its a standard in synths...even ipad applications.
I use one ith evolver.
I can say though that programming sequence in origin is a beauty ;D
theres no comparison to Radias whichs layout Is nightmare for me
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:17:19 pm by Metallum »

aye_carrrumba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:03 am »
right down to the nitty gritty, give us more modules to explorer. no librarian or editor, that i don't need. there is plenty of space to manage presets. i want to feel this ... not work through a computer. i have the voyager editor i never use except for the upgrade. but i would say buy it, i enjoy playing it. and if they discontinue it lalala. my loss, i guess, but not really because i feel the joy stick, turn off the lights, lay on the floor, be quiet, put headphones on and explorer sound.

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:38:04 am »
After couple of hours display on page with macro osc, macro lfo,and other macro's shows at the top line .../.../lowlevel/ccgarphic..etc  seems like program missing something.
Rest of the page is viewed correctly, only at the top ...blue line and exit button  is missing showing the sentence..
First problem with soft???
Did had something like this?

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:15:35 am »
right down to the nitty gritty, give us more modules to explorer. no librarian or editor, that i don't need. there is plenty of space to manage presets. i want to feel this ... not work through a computer. i have the voyager editor i never use except for the upgrade. but i would say buy it, i enjoy playing it. and if they discontinue it lalala. my loss, i guess, but not really because i feel the joy stick, turn off the lights, lay on the floor, be quiet, put headphones on and explorer sound.

How long have you had Origin? I am quite sure that you'll see a moment when you would like to have everything in better order. Or just check those new soundbanks without thinking where to import them and waiting painfully long time to send and receive information between O and computer. This is just how things should be in these times; Origin is kind of vintage recreation but it does not need to be yesterdays technique in every aspect. Also, I am quite sure that there many users that mainly use it in (home or professional) studio. Don't you think that better integration with DAWs and computers in general would not be welcomed with all of us doing our stuff already with computer? In my opinion this integration part should be on of the main developmental path. I also think that it should not be that difficult; at least if they would update mainly the computer software. Or if they do not have time to do it themselves, give this task to third party developer. And if this would cost something, what the hell, I would put some money to it (although I think we should have for free and not after three years from now). I've already spent over 2000 euros for this product, I just want to take full benefit out of it...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:17:26 am by JacksonP »

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:33 am »
You forgot about ipad  integration ;D which becomes standard in controlling lately

aye_carrrumba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »
i only had the origin for about 6 months now. both virus and Mg have editors. i use the virus editor more since i use it with my computer more. it was free. i had to pay $79 for the Mg editor.but i am sound saturated at this point, with komplete ultimate on its way, and omnisphere, and the v-collection i don't want any more softwear.i find the layout of origin for finding sounds is better than virus and Mg when not connected to a computer and that is how i use them the most, but when connected to a computer the virus exceeds, Mg , then origin last. it would be a great feature to have both editor and new modules. the editor i would pay for since i don't expect that to be free, the modules should be free. but since we have neither right now, i would rather the origin execs concentrate on updating the firmwear, and add modules, then last get the editor.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »
You forgot about ipad  integration ;D which becomes standard in controlling lately

Hell yes for iPad integration! (but let's start with conventional computers, shall we?)

:)

Metallum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:00:56 am »
I decided not to buy it......
Zero response for  problem with graphics on forum,and support mail.
Strange forum with spam messages., topics in russian telling about vampire serial in tv ?..where's admin???? :o
Its not popular gear with not so good technical support.
I'm not saying that I dont like it....its really fine piece of synth,  but lacks proper support and many users reports bigger or smaller problems with it. I think that new product brute will level up Arturia, But will They change their client support..??? You know they are french guys... ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines