April 28, 2024, 03:10:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Request: ORIGIN IPAD APP  (Read 5002 times)

kidharpoon

Request: ORIGIN IPAD APP
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:11:00 am »
So a lot of reviews have complained that the Origin screen isn't touch screen.

I think it would be pretty cool if you could get an origin app on the ipad that had features to be controlled by touchscreen. The templates especially would be cool, and as my controller keyboard already has aftertouch, the ribbon controller would be cool.

Also, the templates could look more like the current soft synths too which would be nice.

Thoughts?

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
Re: Request: ORIGIN IPAD APP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:46:13 am »
of course i would love this too....but........i prefer they bring us the DAW integration before. ;)

Jeruro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »
There are a lot of things to do before this.

kidharpoon

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »
Calm down. Just an idea.

I agree, but just floating it out there...

holografique

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »
Also, the templates could look more like the current soft synths too which would be nice.

this isn't practical considering the limited resolution and screen size of the Origin LCD screen, compared to an LCD monitor on your computer. Personally I think they've done a great job with the visual representation of the templates on the Origin, considering what limited space they have to work with.

I don't think it can get much better than what we've got now.

cheers.

kidharpoon

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »
I completely disagree. For me, the only failing of the origin is that certain aspects of it aren't intuitive, due to the limited visual element.

The templates for example don't feel immediate, and its more like using a workaround instead of using the real thing, primarily because im not engaged visually.

I know that the templates are a fraction of what origin does, but this visual element could be improved on a touch screen pad. Plus adding the use of a ribbon control.

I think arturia have done an incredible job, but also to accept that things can't be done better is to defeat the point of the origin. This beast can keep growing and developing for years. Obviously an ipad app is extremely low on the priority list, but i think it would bring something really useful.

holografique

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 08:04:21 am »
You simply can't make it any better with the small size and low resolution of the current LCD screen. They would need to put in a larger LCD screen with much higher resolution to be able to technically fit the layout and get the clarity of what the plug-ins look like.You are asking for something that is simply not technically possible. 

I'll also disagree in that I take it from a different perspective and for me the templates are VERY immediate, by focusing on putting your hands on the knobs, versus trying to treat it like a VST-plugin with the GUI. Using the Origin to replace the elegant visual UI's of their VST plugin products is not the main goal of what Origin is designed to do, and I would go as far to say in that it's not even one of it's basic goals.

The way I look at it is: one, if not the main goal behind Origin's layout and design is to give you "back" the instant hands-on control of hardware already mapped out for you, at the same time sounding as good, if not better than the plug-ins emulating the old analog synths they cover. It doesn't make sense to try and compare the Origin against the software products. Completely different approach to working with the instruments. It's designed for you to spend more time playing and being "hands-on" versus navigating the GUI with a knob and arrow keys. Yes, the GUI is vital for using it's more modular capabilities, which I think the current interface does very well when using it this way. But again, it's goal is not to be a replacement for working with it like a plug-in with a full feature rich GUI.

Compare the Origin to any other hardware ONLY synth on the market today and tell me one that has a better GUI than what Origin gives you today. Having spent many years programming on countless of different hardware and software synths known for their well thought UI designs (EPS/ESQ-1, SY77, K2000/K2500, Reaktor) Origin has been what I consider the perfect blend between "analog" style hands-on control (and sound!) combined with deep visual feedback of what's going on inside and navigating the core set of features through a nice colorful UI. It took me but a few hours to instantly whip up emulations of old analog synths from my past and easily find my way around the main areas of the synth. If you spend time learning all the areas, you'll see it's actually not that difficult to get around, even in the templates. There's not much to they synth really. All of the main "sections" are easily accessed by their dedicated button/page, with very little nesting beyond those main pages.

You ever program on a Yamaha TX81Z from scratch? Or how about an original Kawai K5 Additive Synth? THOSE are what I consider the hallmark of counter-intuitive synths ;)

kidharpoon

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:54 am »
All I'm saying is that a larger touch screen (in the form of an ipad - not a new origin) can only be a good thing and could have several interesting functions. Its not essential by any means, but for me personally it would improve my origin experience.

When I use a real miniMg or the Minimog plugin for example, I like to look about and work out where I'm at with the sound etc... because its all there plain to see. However, I find that the condensed screen means I'm often doing a bit of detective work within the template to find out where I'm at. Its not as hands on because I'm jumping between menus and hitting the wrong things here and there sometimes.

I suppose the DAW integration will sort this out anyway, but I still think an Ipad app would be fun.

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »
by the way, when arturia will provide of plug in version of the origin to be controlled from a daw (integration à la Virus Ti) you will be able to "send" the plug in window to your ipad using an app that alreay exist so you can tweak your setting on a touch screen. More, you could invest in a touch screen as a second monitor for your computer and use it like this too, that's what i am doing with some plug ins (korg legacy for example). But, i know, we have to wait to get a plug in version of Origin ;)

kidharpoon

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »
That is very cool.

What is the app that sends the plugin to your ipad?

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »

kidharpoon

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »
That is very cool!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines