April 27, 2024, 04:03:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I may get one!  (Read 2201 times)

snap

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I may get one!
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:07:28 am »
Hello everybody,
this is my first post here.

Today I have had the pleasure of having had a first look at an Origin.
Being an Arturia Junkie and already owning most PlugIns, I may be in the market for an unit.

I have a few questions.

I have read that some of early units died after a few hours.
Is there any way to assess by a serial number which units are affected by this, or is it a case of hit `n miss?
IOW, has this issue been resolved in the new "production batch" ?

I am particularly interested in additionally using it as a MIDI controller.
Apparently June 2009 v.1.1 will be released to allow this, together with external (DAW) automation.
Is it already possible to output the sequences into my DAW?

How well does the sequencer sync with a DAW, and how is it done?
MIDI Clock or MTC?
Is the timing tight?

Can I import and export patches in v.1.1 from/to my PlugIns, or do I have to re-create them from scratch?

If I order one from my local dealer, how fast can I get one?

Forgive me if these questions have already been asked, but search did not show any results.

(I may have more questions once I get some sleep) ;D

snap!

Philippe

Re: I may get one!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:48 am »
I have read that some of early units died after a few hours.
Is there any way to assess by a serial number which units are affected by this, or is it a case of hit `n miss?
IOW, has this issue been resolved in the new "production batch" ?

Yes

I am particularly interested in additionally using it as a MIDI controller.
Apparently June 2009 v.1.1 will be released to allow this, together with external (DAW) automation.
Is it already possible to output the sequences into my DAW?

You should be able to bind a MIDI message to hardware controllers (knobs, encoders). Automation will be made using sysex messages.
No plan - yet - to bind MIDI messages to the Origin internal sequencer. Could you tell me more about whay you would expect in that matter?

How well does the sequencer sync with a DAW, and how is it done?
MIDI Clock or MTC?

MIDI clock

Is the timing tight?

2 aspects here:
- first, Origin needs a quarter or 2 to lock with the DAW midi clock, so you have to provide a roll-up sequence of 1 measure at least.
- second, there is a latency and a jitter (some ms) on the processing of notes coming form the DAW. The problem has been analysed and the solution is known. One guy is starting the work to fix this jitter in the second half of may but the fix may not be available (that is fully tested) at the 1.1 release planned date. If not ready, it woud a part of the next 1.5 release.

Can I import and export patches in v.1.1 from/to my PlugIns, or do I have to re-create them from scratch?

The latter. Contrary to what many people say or believe, Origin is *not* a host for Arturia plug-ins. It's a new machine hosting modules based on the same algorithm than the V Arturia plug-ins, but rewritten for the Origin DSPs. Hence the preset format is different. Plus some extra features available with the V plug-ins cannot be easily implemented on a DSP based architecture.

If I order one from my local dealer, how fast can I get one?

It depends where you live. To my knowledge, some machines from the 1st production batch are available at Sweetwater or Guitar Center in the US. No more stock in Australia (but the 2nd production batch is starting now). Or you can get a machine using the online Arturia shop.
Origin Lead  Developer

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines