April 28, 2024, 12:10:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Interface problems  (Read 2673 times)

dobrojoe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Interface problems
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:24 pm »
Having used the REAL THING back in the '70s and build my own synths, I was excited when I saw the prospect of a 'soft' version of a Mg Modular and downloaded the demo version.

I am familiar with the interaction of modules and use of patch chords for several brands of synths.

Yes, the sounds are very impressive but I wish I could say the same for the usability of the program. This is a huge piece of equipment and I have a large monitor (two 24" Cinema displays) connected to my MacPro. There is no way that I can see to resize the window horizontally or split the cabinets across two or more monitors. The graphics are too small! I want them life size.

The other problem is that the original modules are badly designed. When I say that, the positions of knobs and patch sockets are arbitary with no visual indication of signal and CV flow. Okay, this may be down to manufacturing and panel size constraints but how much better would it be if it were possible to switch this software product into a 'diagramatic' mode instead of this not-quite-accurate literal presentation.

It should be possible to drag an instance of a Mg VCO like you can in most drawing programs and join it up to an instance of a VCF and envelope generator. Only modules that are needed would appear on the screen, not all the camouflage and visual disruption of the entire thing. The signal and control flow would be instantly obvious using shapes and colour coding with an 'inpector' panel available to make settings.

Having the sounds and flexibility of a 1970s Mg Modular synth is a great idea but why not make them 2009 accessible? The best of both worlds.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines