April 30, 2024, 04:10:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniMg VI-Help need from the Pro's-Program Changes & Saving presets  (Read 4213 times)

moogman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.myspace.com/whitlockjazz
Hello all-

Question 1:

I need help from experienced users out there please!  For the life of me I can't seem to understand the scheme behind saving a simple user preset in my MiniMg VI synth. Can somebody just tell me in simple terms what are the steps required to save few preset patches? Everytime I try it the previous patch I was working on gets overwritten. The manual doesn't really help.

Question 2:

I'm using a brand new M Audio Axiom 61 controller as my main board. How do you transmit a simple program change to the MiniMg? Is a bank change required from my controller? I send program changes and NOTHING happens at the miniMg. This is weird to me since program changes usually work with all of my other soft synths.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kyle
Kyle Whitlock

Technology is damn good, but only when it works!

Sweep

Re: MiniMg VI-Help need from the Pro's-Program Changes & Saving presets
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:06:27 pm »
Can't help with the MIDI controller - I always want to stop the MIDI controller from changing patches and I've never managed to sort that.

Here's the procedure for saving an edited patch under a different name:

Click on the `save as' tab. A drop down menu appears. Click on the bank (and subbank if necessary) that you want to save to, or click on new bank if the location to save to doesn't yet exist.

When you're at the right location to store your new patch, go to the bottom of the drop down menu and click `new preset.'

Go up to the preset name window, which will now probably be showing the word `default.'  Click on it, and it'll go blank. Type in the name you want the patch to have, and then click the `save' tab next to the `save as' one.

It may sound lengthy when explained like that, but once you've done it a couple of times it seems like second nature.

moogman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:36:31 pm »
Ok, this seems to work but it seems the previous patch gets overwritten somehow. You mention going to the preset name window. I see that there is also a window at the top left that says "Presets." That's not where I named my new preset but rather in the box that is to the right of the "Preset" box that has the down arrow on it.

The Presets box at the top left that I mentioned always has the same patch in it I noticed. Hey thanks a million for your help, at least I feel like I'm on the right track now.
Kyle Whitlock

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:17 pm »
You should have three boxes - bank, sub-bank, and preset.

When you say the one at the top left always has the same patch in it, do you mean the bank one?  That will have either the name of the bank (usually the person who wrote the patches) or else `all' - meaning it'll give access to all sub-banks regardless of who may have written the patches in them.

So it'll stay the same so long as you're in the sub-bank for that person's patches, or so long as you're in `all' mode.

So bank and sub-bank are like folder locations, and only the third window, the one called `preset' has indivdual files in it.

So are we talking about the same things?

It sounds like you've renamed the sub-bank when you say "That's not where I named my new preset but rather in the box that is to the right of the "Preset" box that has the down arrow on it."

The patch should never be overwritten when you've clicked `save as.'  But if you've changed the name of the sub bank, that may make sense of what you've said.

I think you'll probably find you've created a duplicate sub bank if you've clicked save as. If that's the case the original patches will still be there and you'll have in effect another folder with the same patches, altered by your editing.

Hope that helps.

moogman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:00 am »
>You should have three boxes - bank, sub-bank, and preset.

Correct.

>When you say the one at the top left always has the same patch in it, do you mean the bank one?

No, I'm referring to the upper left hand corner right above the Bank box that has the drop down arrow. To the right of this Preset box are left and right arrows, a floppy disc Save button and an X delete button..

Kyle Whitlock

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:16:41 am »
Are you running the MiniMg in stand-alone mode or under a sequencer?

moogman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 01:17:39 am »
I'm using Sonar V6 as my host application..thanks
Kyle Whitlock

Sweep

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:17:46 am »
What you've described sounds like part of Sonar's file system rather than Arturia's?

Maybe I'll look at this again tomorrow when I'm awake and suddenly realise what the situation is, but right now it looks more like a Sonar question than an Arturia one.

I've just tried running the MiniMg under my VST host (which is something I very rarely do) and I have full access to Arturia's file system and also access to the VST host's way of handling files. Sonar may well be different, though.

moogman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 11:40:43 pm »
>What you've described sounds like part of Sonar's file system rather than Arturia's?

I found out that that Preset window is part of the Sonar interface. Also I tried using the MiniMg in standalone mode and I can transmit program changes from the Axiom controller, no problem. I still cannot figure out how to make program changes work while using the MiniMg from within Sonar. The reason I use the MiniMg from within Sonar is because I will be using many soft synths, and so I can take advantage of the effects loops. Still working on the problem with saving sounds on the MiniMg without wiping out previous saved patches.
Kyle Whitlock

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines