April 27, 2024, 05:11:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: new discover on the CS80!!!  (Read 3808 times)

omissis

new discover on the CS80!!!
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:05 pm »
Hi all
Just to point another difference between the original and the virtual I recently tracked back: on the original the voltage "K" which  gives out the pitch of the key , which is also shared by the pitchbend CV , is led to the filters too: this means that the filters directly react together with the pitch therefore you can get differences between low pitch and hi pitch : it is supposed that this voltage is gave out only for low pitches in order to let the HPF thin the sound  at high pitches; at the same time the voltage "V" is gave into the VCO for what concerns the Initial pitchbend but doesn't affect the filters.
OK, time to implement it into the new virtual, waitig for good news, now! :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

stevenorgate

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: new discover on the CS80!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:00:13 pm »
Quote from: "omissis"
Hi all
Just to point another difference between the original and the virtual I recently tracked back: on the original the voltage "K" which  gives out the pitch of the key , which is also shared by the pitchbend CV , is led to the filters too: this means that the filters directly react together with the pitch therefore you can get differences between low pitch and hi pitch : it is supposed that this voltage is gave out only for low pitches in order to let the HPF thin the sound  at high pitches; at the same time the voltage "V" is gave into the VCO for what concerns the Initial pitchbend but doesn't affect the filters.
OK, time to implement it into the new virtual, waitig for good news, now! :wink:

You're talking about keyboard tracking, aren't you? Are you saying there is a fixed amount of tracking always applied on the real CS80?

I thought this was just optional on the V. If not you can do it by mapping pitch to filter cutoff easily enough.

Or have I misunderstood you?

omissis

new discover on the CS80!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:56:27 pm »
You're talking about keyboard tracking, aren't you? Are you saying there is a fixed amount of tracking always applied on the real CS80?

Steven
It's abit different from keyboard tracking: on the original the keyboard tracking uses a different voltage, named "V" voltage for independently control the filter amount according to a temperate scale; I tell about the "K" voltage which is what the assigner gives out to the voice card: the same amount of voltage is sent to the vcfs too so you can have the filters continuously tracked by the pitch, this is a pre-cabled thing and works apart from the real key tracking; therefore if you have a portamento you can hear the filters do the portamento together with the pitch, same as using the ribbon, because these two devices share the same CV; also if you set a low footage on ch 1 and set a high footage on ch 2 you can hear the difference just because it's the pitch cv that controls the filters; the key tracking works together and helps the filters to be more closed at certain notes but works in parallel with this behaviour ; this is an intentional thing and it's done to let the low notes be heard with much presence rather than the high notes; on the top of this there are two loudness filters controlled by the EXP pedal, this all lacks into the V

I thought this was just optional on the V. If not you can do it by mapping pitch to filter cutoff easily enough.

I know but it isn't enough: the matrix can't do this and could do this in part if you tie all the devices ( key, porta-gliss and ribbon ) with the same exact amount, but won't give you the real behaviour
;)
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines