April 27, 2024, 01:32:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New CS-80V user  (Read 4184 times)

seadragon

New CS-80V user
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:39:50 am »
Hi everyone,

I just picked up the CS-80V and all I can say is WOW!

My number 1 musician that I have listened to for years is Vangelis.  I have been trying for YEARS to emulate his sounds.  I never realized that he was using a CS-80 for most of them.  I am a huge fan of his.

Anyway, I can't believe that I can finally recreate the sounds he used.  I am just blown away by this!  I'm currently working on his famous "plucked string" sound (guitar).  Has anyone else managed to recreate this sound?  I also like his backgrounds strings.  The demo MP3 Medley on this site is the kind of sound I am after.

Anyway, glad to be on board.  Look forward to exchanging thoughts and techniques with you all!

Boulotaur2024

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
New CS-80V user
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:24:16 pm »
It's funny I never had the chance to listen to that mp3 medley demo, it's greeaat !

Yea I'd also be definitely interested in a discussion about how to recreate those choir sounds and the strings in the background of this demo, it sounds very good.

Christian Worton, we want to hear from you  :D  !

P.S : we've talked a lot about that on Kvr but Vangelis could have made sung any crappy piece of synth because his genius lies in the art of composition, structure, and expressive playing, the latter being hard to achieve without a proper controller -polyphonic aftertouch enabled then-

omissis

New CS-80V user
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:36:40 pm »
Hi seadragon and welcome to the world of the !more-than-2000-people-trying-to-sound-like-the-around-2000-cs80s-produced" !!!

I must say I can only admire Arturia for its courage trying to model the hardest synthesizer to model in the whole history!!! About the synth itself it has still great bettering curves and I'm pushing the guys to do so !

About the sound of the guitar, aka GUITAR1 preset, keep in mind that the sound took GREAT advantage from the Touch response function which was unique of the CS80 and was never more replicated on any synthesizer after it : it's like 2 different velocity curves applied on the initial transient and the sustained part ( too techie? Let me know!) so that's why the plucked string sounds so "plucked" ! And so goes with the BASS preset, and mostly the FUNKY preset ( lots of them on Spiral and Beaubourg ,of course).
Unfortunately Arturia still didn't succed in re-creating this feel, which is part of the CS80's signature sound , hope they will do it.
Myself I tried to recreate GUITAR1 and the guys eventually implemented it on the version 1.5 (upper row, yellow button next to green button), anyway it resembles more to a CS60's GUITAR preset filled with velocity rather than the GUITAR1 itself....it's just a matter of velocity response :wink:

PS: Bouloutaur, BTW, as you know Vangelis' first synth was a Korg Mini 700s which is one of the crappiest sounding synths ever!!!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines