April 29, 2024, 12:53:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Option for disconnecting Osc pitch from incoming MIDI CV  (Read 867 times)

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
Option for disconnecting Osc pitch from incoming MIDI CV
« on: February 07, 2023, 09:16:20 am »
Hi again! I was playing around with the MiniFreak today, and had the thought that it would be so cool to be able to optionally disconnect either oscillator from the incoming MIDI pitch and gate CV, in the same implementation as the Buchla Easel V (one of my favourites of the V collection!). This would free up pitch to be modulated by another CV source, whilst the incoming MIDI could still quantize the other oscillator. I feel this is one of the coolest features on the Easel (and I see the MiniFreak as a modern update to that instrument). This would open up a ton of new sound design possibilities and be amazing for live performance too! I appreciate this may be a bridge too far as I know the hardware and plugin need to share the same functionality, but hope you will possibly give it consideration! All the best!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Option for disconnecting Osc pitch from incoming MIDI CV
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 12:44:21 pm »
Using the mod matrix, you can "disconnect" an oscillator from the keyboard/MIDI so that it gets a fixed pitch. If you wanted Osc 1 to behave like that:

- Assign 2 mod matrix destinations to Osc 1 Pitch (the Tune/Oct knob)
- Make a mod matrix connection from the Keyboard row to both Osc 1 Pitch columns, setting one to -60 and the other to -4 on the hardware, or -100 and -6.7 if on the software.

This cancels out the normal keyboard and MIDI, making Osc1 play a middle C. Use the Tune/Oct knob to set its desired pitch. Other modulations will still work.

KennyG5000

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 04:36:10 pm »
Thanks for the head's up DrJustice, that is a cool technique, had a play around with it earlier and works like a charm thanks!

Kris Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 06:42:33 pm »
Using the mod matrix, you can "disconnect" an oscillator from the keyboard/MIDI so that it gets a fixed pitch. If you wanted Osc 1 to behave like that:

- Assign 2 mod matrix destinations to Osc 1 Pitch (the Tune/Oct knob)
- Make a mod matrix connection from the Keyboard row to both Osc 1 Pitch columns, setting one to -60 and the other to -4 on the hardware, or -100 and -6.7 if on the software.

This cancels out the normal keyboard and MIDI, making Osc1 play a middle C. Use the Tune/Oct knob to set its desired pitch. Other modulations will still work.

This is amazing but currently feels like magic, as in, though I think I understand how the mod maatrix works, I have no idea why _this_ works to have _this_ effect. Would you (or someone else) be up for elaborating a little bit on _why_ this works, so that I (and others) might be able to generalize to other problems in creative ways?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines