April 28, 2024, 12:10:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Analog Lab mode when in a DAW - does everything work like standalone?  (Read 1325 times)

jkipcount

• Apprentice
I havent yet bought a KeyLab MkII but I'm thinking about it.

When in a DAW, specifically Studio One or Bitwig for me, and you switch the KeyLab to Analog Lab mode does it automatically control Analog Lab the same way it does with the standalone version?

May seem like a silly question, but I currently use a Korg NanoKontrol2 and it works with the standalone Analog Lab V, but when I'm in a DAW, the controls no longer work. Just making sure that the KeyLab ALWAYS can see and control the Arturia plugins whether it's standalone or using them as plugins in a DAW.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Analog Lab mode when in a DAW - does everything work like standalone?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 01:55:03 pm »
Analog Lab mode is for controlling the standalone version of Analog Lab. Inside a DAW there would be too many 'conflicts of interest' for it to still wholly control just Analog Lab. Imagine that when you move a control on your keyboard, the keyboard shouts-out messages which can be heard by either your DAW or Analog Lab. When you run Analog Lab from inside a DAW, one of them has got to have hierarchical superiority over the other, or else there's going to be a fist-fight over what the control you've just moved should actually be doing. The hierarchical battle to determine which of them is the Alpha Male is always going to be won by your DAW. You've already discovered that with your Korg.

So no. Mostly, with Analog Lab used as a virtual instrument in a DAW, it will listen to what the DAW tells it to do, not you.

I didn't even know Bitwig was still 'a thing'. When it was launched ten(?) years ago, even then I wondered where its creators (who I believe were exiles from Ableton) saw the opening for another DAW in an already crowded market. Maybe Linux users are keeping it afloat considering it's one of the few Linux DAWs.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jkipcount

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 06:40:51 pm »
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. 

I'll just keep on with my Korg nanoKontrol2 as it's basically serving as my knobs and faders just fine with standalone Analog Lab and I just map it to whatever I want in V Collection instruments.

Bitwig is still very much a thing.  Quite a community around it.  Studio One remains my main DAW (I'm a former Pro Tools guy), but I recently got "clip launcher" curious.  I demo'd Bitwig and Ableton, and Bitwig was far more enjoyable to use.  Feels like an instrument to me.  I always like to use two DAWs.  Helps keep me sharper, as they inspire me to try to duplicate things from one to the other.  I used to use PT and Studio One, but since ditching PT for good, Bitwig has become my secondary. 

Thanks again.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 06:02:47 pm »
Hi.

Analog Lab mode just use a premade midi CC map that match a premade midi CC config in Analog Lab.

In Studio One any midi CC the user does'nt map to be used for Control Link will work like a normal midi CC. So the user shall just not map the midi CC's the Analog Lab mode map is using to be used for Control Link, and then it should work out normal.
A Nanocontrol also would'nt work for normal midi CC linking, if the midi CC's it's set to output is mapped for Control Link in Studio One.

I don't know if Bitwig have any internal control system at all. I assume it just use midi CC, and thus Analog Lab mode should work.

I suggest to read the controller manual, that can be downloaded from Arturias download pages.
You can clearly read, that Analog Lab mode is mentioned to be used in DAWs.

I don't have a Arturia controller. But i know some use Analog Lab mode in Studio One.

I suggest to examine this. Ask Arturia support if needed.

Off coarse a function like Analog Lab mode that is a big selling point for a controller that's ment to be used with a DAW also should work in a DAW, unless the DAW is used in a way to prevent it. I in example don't know if Mainstage put all midi CC's out of normal use.

Fornicras

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 06:50:32 pm »
ANALOG LAB mode, works as it works in standalone mode, at least in Studio One. Every button and function work when load the Analog Lab as VST.
However, I have a problem, and the it's main reason I created an account here,
When in Studio One, and when using Analog Lab as a vst, I could see preset names/category names on the keyboard, but right now I can't see it, it only says "Analog Lab" on the screen. I checked the midi settings, they are all the same, I don't know what happened.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines