April 29, 2024, 05:19:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KSP - time shift question & sync-help  (Read 920 times)

CouldBeAName

• God slayer of plush
  • Apprentice
KSP - time shift question & sync-help
« on: April 04, 2022, 12:11:22 am »
Hi guys, I'm the new one!

Pleased to make your acquaintance.

This is the setup:
I own a KSP and a DrumBrute.
Both connect via MIDI (KSP = M / DB = S).

KSP-Sync Output - Clock out 24 ppq (KORG) - via MIDI --> DrumBrute
DB - Clock Out - 2ppq (There is a Volca Sample behind it, receiving clock. Doesn't matter)

Now here's the issue on the KSP:
Notes (at the very first Step) with a time shift below 0 aren't being played, when I'm pressing the play-button.
But so does i.e. the DrumBrutes base drum.

From my perspective, the DrumBrute is being triggered at a time shift of -50 (or -25), but the KSP is only able to trigger notes at a time shift of 0.
It's always about initially pressing the play-button.
It's irritating, because the (supposed to be) first note isn't being played, when I press play or switch to another pattern where the 1st note has a similar time shift, below.

My guess is, that I set up the clocks in a wrong way (,since I believed, the whole chain needs to be at Korg-PPQ).

So here's my question?:
Do you have any ideas, what it might be?
Should I set the clock out of the KSP to 24 instead to the DrumBrute?
Btw. Switching the Master-Slave-Chain didn't work out either.

Another idea would be to time shift all the steps on the DrumBrute. Would rather prevent this option.

kind regards,

CouldBeAName
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 06:18:36 pm by CouldBeAName »

marcel-x

• Apprentice
Re: KSP - time shift question & sync-help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 08:41:36 pm »
Notes (at the very first Step) with a time shift below 0 aren't being played, when I'm pressing the play-button.

I think this is by design! It make sense to start at the beginning of the first bar instead of something in the past. Every note pushed out of the first bar will be part of the adjacent bar.
Often this spanning over the start of a bar, a anacrusis (in dutch language called “opmaat”) can, as example, be found in the air intake before the vocals start.

As far as I know this situation occurs in every pro(fessional) DAW and can be solved by adding an additional empty bar at the start. Correct me if I’m wrong.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:48:05 pm by marcel-x »

CouldBeAName

• God slayer of plush
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 12:31:57 am »

I think this is by design! It make sense to start at the beginning of the first bar instead of something in the past. Every note pushed out of the first bar will be part of the adjacent bar.
Often this spanning over the start of a bar, a anacrusis (in dutch language called “opmaat”) can, as example, be found in the air intake before the vocals start.

As far as I know this situation occurs in every pro(fessional) DAW and can be solved by adding an additional empty bar at the start. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Hi marcel-x,

thank you for your reply.
I believe, I get you.
So, it might be more of a theoretical fallacy.
Then I'll have to create an "intro-patch" as work-around.

Right now, I'm not really using a DAW.
It's just a few VSTs being controlled by the KSP via USB. (Buffersize 512 samples, 48k Hz)

Just to describe it in another way:
The First step on the KSP/VST feels lagged (by about a 32nd note), when the sequence starts anew or the pattern is switched, due to this time window from -50 to -1.

Sorry, I'm bad at explaining
Would it be okay, to upload a small audio file or would this conflict with the community guide lines?

thank you and kind regards,

CouldBeAName

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The setup:
KSP --USB --> Laptop (With 2-3 vsts) >-- USB --> Audio Interface --> Headphones
|
|-- MIDI Cable --> DrumBrute >-- 1/4 inch Cinch --> Audio Interface --> Headphones

CouldBeAName

• God slayer of plush
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 06:57:40 pm »
Hi,

just to close it down.
I turned down the tempo to 30 on both devices (KSP and DrumBrute) a little while ago, using the KSP as Master.
When I pressed Play the DrumBrute always was about a 1/32 note ahead. May be the reason behind that was the PPQ. But I didn't investigate any further into and gave back the DrumBrute.

Anyway,

Thank you for your help. :-)

Kind regards

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines