April 18, 2024, 09:55:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Over 30gb of space is not an acceptable install size !  (Read 3931 times)

steve_oakley

• Apprentice
Over 30gb of space is not an acceptable install size !
« on: March 12, 2022, 12:22:19 am »
I'm working on cleaning up space on my mac's SSD. The one giant by a margin offender of eating disk space ( after Adobe which is long gone ) is Artutria. I'm estimating its a bit over 30gb in size for V collection, Effects collection !!!!

Digging around its not hard to see why - everything is installed multiple times. on Mac its SSD/Library/Audio  AND a complete duplicate under SSD/Library/Artuira !  why is this duplicated ? the Arturia folder alone is 28gb !!!!

If you dig into things a bit, PluginNAme/resources/Fonts - the 3.5mb font folder is duplicated X every plugin X plugin ver ( VST, VST3, AU, Avid ) X Arturia filter and Audio/Plug-ins. I mean its a couple GIGs of totally duplicated files. Why not just install them ONCE into the system/Fonts folder ? or at worst into Arturia/Fonts and then set aliases that only eat 4kb ( min sector size ) rather than the current setup ? or fix your plugins to use a single common font folder.

However, why do I basically have multiple copies of all the same stuff ? I need space back and need to delete some of this. what can go and things will still work ? I already removed all AVX copies since I don't use protools ? probably all the regular VST's can also go since everything I have is using VST3. The installers themselves should have a global install pref so that if a user doesn't need AVX or VST2 it NEVER gets installed. That would help a lot

this bloat has to be fixe as bad a crasher because I REALLY need my space back and on Mac you can't upgrade your system SSD after the fact on most machines. Not how I'd like it, just how it is, no need for pointless this is why PC's are so great comments.

please please please fix the bloat !!!!! fix the installers to delete all the old stuff and get down to a SINGLE instance of each thing that really needs to be installed.

S

jblongz

• Multi-Engineer
    • JBlongz YouTube
Re: Over 30gb of space is not an acceptable install size !
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 08:54:08 pm »
This is still evident as through Arturia may be using JUCE framework, the may not have opted for vector graphics because of a more tedious process to achieve the realistic look. Maybe there will be innovation on behalf of JUCE or some other expert to make this easier on developers.
MacBook Pro M1 MacOS13 16GB | Asus ProArt i7 12700H 64GB
V9 Collection | Live 11 | Logic X | Maschine MK3 | Cubase 12 | Bitwig 5

csurieux

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:27:27 am »
Please please please fix the bloat !!!!! fix the installers to delete all the old stuff and get down to a SINGLE instance of each thing that really needs to be installed.
+1

LBH

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:05:48 pm »
Beside the allready excisting 1-2 GB Arturia factory NKS files that for non NKS users unfortunately is paid for bloat, then what excactly is bloat in Arturias software?

And which excact files are duplicate files?  I'm on Windows. But i don't understand what's installed twice - or what should not be installed - apart from NKS files for those who don't want/ need them.

In contrast to the space Arturias applications use, then a single instrument multi sample library for a sampler can use the same space as the entire V-Collection 9 use and even more.
Soundsets in a DAW can also easily take at least the same amount of space as V-Collection does.

I'm actually all for removing no needed and duplicated files and bloat, if there are any.

I'm also for to make V-Collection use less space - but how to do that? What can be optimized if sample handling and GUI elements can't? What's not needed beside perhaps NKS files?
Instuments that does'nt use audio samples, that can use vector graphic and is'nt delievered with NKS files does'nt take very much space.
NKS files for Analog Lab will just be more paid for bloat for non NKS users, as it will require seperate NKS files.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines