March 29, 2024, 02:38:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New to this whole thing, dont understand setup.  (Read 1781 times)

L3tuce

New to this whole thing, dont understand setup.
« on: December 25, 2021, 03:31:59 am »
I just got a keystep 37 and haven't touched anything remotely like this before. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just setup my keystep to work with my PC. I've plugged the USB-B/USB-A cable from the keyboard into my PC, updated the firmware, downloaded the MIDI Control Center and my copy of Ableton, and I've figured out how to record sequences and transport them to the MCC. My problem is, bear with me, I dont know how to listen to it. I assumed there would be some way to passthrough the device into my computer and listen through my headphones, preferably in real time. I feel a bit out of my depth haha, this probably sounds incredibly stupid but can someone please explain what the heck im doing wrong?

davydark

• Apprentice
Re: New to this whole thing, dont understand setup.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 03:25:11 pm »
Hey, we're all out of our depth at the beginning.  :)

The Keystep 37 is a MIDI controller. It doesn't produce any sound of its own. It controls whatever sound-producing device (software or hardware) that you connect it to, but it can never produce a sound of its own, so no audio is sent over USB to your computer - only MIDI (i.e. control) messages.

In your setup, your Keystep 37 will be controlling whatever software instruments you've assigned it to in Ableton Live. If you create a track in Ableton Live, put a software instrument on that track, then set the MIDI input to your Keystep, you should be able to play the Keystep controller and hear the software instrument respond.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines