May 06, 2024, 08:20:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Problems with Beatstep Pro  (Read 62983 times)

Lu77

Re: Problems with Beatstep Pro
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWN-WfIK98
volca beats/bass/keys using quadra thru midi din. record button changes character of volca keys (even with direct midi line) misses notes, sometimes wont clear pattern, sometimes switches two octaves down, then turns all gates down to 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqTZiuxwvM
midi direct to sub 37, sometimes doesn't record notes, doesnt like second pass recording.

basically useless.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »
I'm not here to beta test for random community members. this is a finished product and should have a definitive solution.

actually, I was asking as a method to try and debug your problem. The quadra thru is not externally powered, ie it draws power from the midi port. It was possible the beatstep doesn't like power being drawn to send 4 sets of midi signals.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:25:01 pm by RichMakeGame »

Lu77

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »
Sorry, I shouldn't have gotten so annoyed, it just reminded me of telephone help desk staff asking if I'd tried a different cable, a different unit, had I tried turning it on or off.

I've reported to arturia, hopefully they'll provide some concrete answers. I find it hard to believe that they didn't bother getting midi din working well before release. I have read in the far that the internal clock for midi is useless and to use external clock which isn't promising.

Also the BSP will only play the sounds of the volcas when the record button is on, but the sub 37 can be played from the pads any time. Also the roller interrupts the beat completely. It's like the original beat step all over again.

The sub 37 is a bit more stable and less velocity volatile, but still misses information in live recording.

It's disappointing. I want to use my BSP to sequence the volcas and two of my vintage synths which I got upgraded to midi specifically for sequencing. Now I will have to reassess the market and look for something else.

I have low hopes of arturia fixing these issues, they don't seem to have the technical capability.

Computer Controlled

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Facebook Place
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 03:22:34 am »
Last weekend i played a show, and was using the BSP to sequence my Juno-1. Well, about half way through, it just stopped sending note data to the Juno. I couldn't get it to start sending again either, so i had to can the Juno for the remainder of my set.  I wasn't real pleased.  So this whole notes randomly not sending issue needs to be fixed ASAP!  can't be having these failures in a live setting.
Stuff: SH-101 . aJuno-1/PG-300 . TB-3 . TR-8 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . SQ-1 . BeatStep Pro . MSQ-100

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 09:47:29 am »
All interesting.

There is definitely something unreliable about 5 pin MIDI output.

Arturia told me to replace my BSP - so I did. The new one does exactly the same thing.

Something so fundamental (if you use 5 pin MIDI) needs to be reliable and right now it is not.
Just hope there is firmware that can fix this....

Lu77

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 09:50:20 am »
I own two BSPs they both do this.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
Hi all , i had a look at this and think i know where your going wrong  . if you start with a blank sequence just press shift then sequence number step just to clear any problems . then say you want 64 steps change this with lst step and press where you want it to finish when you have done this . press save and the pattern your using  before recording .  then you are ready to record .
this  fixed the problem with weird recordings.

give it a go and let me know.
also there is a problem with the latest FW 1.1.1.6 and sync
so I'm using 1.1.1.4  below. please note this is not a released FW

hope this helps

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Lu77

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 04:26:15 pm »
I'm still on firmware 4 not 6.

And I don't think it's the user that's wrong for not saving the sequence as 64 steps before putting notes in.

That's a design fault. Needs fixing ASAP.

Because every time you clear a pattern it just goes back to 16 anyway. So... You're just adding archaic steps to the process.

No response from Arturia to me. And to the other user, they say "oh get a different unit" when, both my units do this.

I find this all even more concerning.

I'm holding out for some fix very soon. But currently the product is not fit for purpose and the longer I wait to return both my units, the more issues there will be with the retailer.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 04:45:36 pm »
Hi . I do see your point and its not the best i think the next Fw is next month . they way the memory allocation is in bsp is the default is 1 bar /16 steps
if you increase the step count and do not save this the bsp has not allocated memory  but if you save your step amount  the memory is allocated .
it has worked for me here . i will email arturia and ask about this .

Please remember i don't work for arturia  and only remote test for them so I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

please try this method and let me know how you get on.

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2015, 06:51:25 pm »
I just want to do simple stuff without PC or USB. A simple 8 note riff repeating with robotic precision like my doepfer sequencers.
Switched on, cleared sequence 1,input 16 note sequence with gate on odd numbers only. Firmware 1.1.1.6
This is using the midi out to a Boomstar 4075 - seems OK on CV and GATE but midi falls over after a random time.
I made a very short video of the fault:
https://youtu.be/j_OLUFpJC9I
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:55:30 am by vykaar »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »
Did you try the method above even with  16 steps
I know the latest fw has a sync issue

Terrym
TerryM

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »
I just want to do simple stuff without PC or USB. A simple 8 note riff repeating with robotic precision like my doepfer sequencers.
I made a very short video of the fault:
https://youtu.be/j_OLUFpJC9I

Sam sort of thing I am getting (on 2 units) Typically with a mono hardware synth I will just here a random lengthened release.

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2015, 08:13:43 pm »
Did you try the method above even with  16 steps
I know the latest fw has a sync issue

Terrym

Hmmm. Well seems to me all 3 official firmware releases have sync issues (not tried .4).

Arturia really need to sort this out ASAP.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »
Yes when I set all 16 steps to trigger ( internal sync ) it will, after a short while randomly start triggering what sounds like 2 gates per note as if the roller looper is being used and just missing out other random notes. I don't know why the roller looper was made touch sensitive like it is - I would have preferred standard push buttons or the ability to disable it. If it wouldn't cancel the warranty I would unplug the internal connector to see if that was causing this.

Lu77

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 10:00:29 am »
Thanks for the explanation terry at least it feels like getting closer to the issue.

I would like to hear from Arturia though. I don't think it's right to leave all this to beta testers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines