May 04, 2024, 02:53:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What is MIDI Control Center actually for?  (Read 465 times)

aaricwon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
What is MIDI Control Center actually for?
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:12:08 am »
This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance but I was given a Arturia Minilab for Christmas because I am a musician (guitar) but now that I am not playing in actual bands I would like to start creating electronic music. I have installed Analog Labratory and MIDI Control Center. I have played with Analog Lab though I don't really know what it would be used for? Maybe live performances? I have used FL Studio 10 and imported the Analog Lab VST and used it there. I have Ableton Live but haven't really figured it out yet. What I don't know about though is the MIDI Control Center program? What is this used for? I have opened it but I just don't konw what to do with it?

Can someone answer that? What is MIDI Control Center for? What is an example of something I would do with it?

Davifol

Re: What is MIDI Control Center actually for?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
I'm in the same boat - but with a twist. I also have The Laboratory MIDI Control Centre as well as MIDIControlCentre. To me, it seems that both apps are purely for configuration of Arturia MIDI instruments (as opposed to MIDI controllers by any other vendors), the difference being that MIDIControlCentre governs all Arturia hardware, while The Laboratory MIDI Control Centre is... just for the Arturia Analog Experience keyboard... I think. But that said, I'm also confused by Analog Lab and Analog Laboratory! What the hell is the difference there? As I don't have any Arturia hardware, I'm in a quandary as to whether or not to uninstall Laboratory MIDI Control Centre, MIDIControlCentre and Analog Laboratory and only keep Analog Lab. Bit of a clash of naming there... any advice from anyone?

@aaricwon, IMO, MIDI Control Centre is purely for configuring Minilabs MIDI controllers and updating its firmware, whereas Analog Lab is purely for presenting and storing multiple presets from the V Collection, so it can be used a plugin in its own right. You could make your own presets and instrument configurations with it, and use them in a live performance... from an Arturia MIDI controller at least... but thats just a hunch

carlosrr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Ph.D. in History, Lecturer, Retired naval officer
    • Carlos of Coronado
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
I have wondering the same thing.  My ASC shows no Midi Control Center, and prompts download to install.  At this moment however, I am wary of screwing up my PC installation of VC3 (elicense) and my VC4 (ASC) My Keylab 25 and Keylab 49 don't exhibit or reveal any conflict or challenges.  So, is it just firmware?

Cheers

Carlos
Windows 10, Yosemite iMac, 4 controllers, Analog Lab, V Collection 4, Komplete 9, Omnisphere, AAS Ultra-Analog

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
What I don't know about though is the MIDI Control Center program? What is this used for? I have opened it but I just don't konw what to do with it?
MIDI Control Center should be called "Arturia Hardware Configurator" or something like that :)

So, that utility app is used to (re)configure all Arturia MIDI controllers, set different MIDI CCs to the knobs, buttons and faders, remap the pads, set MIDI Channel, Velocity/Aftertouch curves, etc.

Also, when you need to do a firmware update, you'll need to do it through MIDI Control Center.

That's basically what that tool applications is for, to manage the more lower-level aspect of Arturia controllers.

If everything is working fine with your controller(s), then you can ignore it.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:02:23 pm »
What I don't know about though is the MIDI Control Center program? What is this used for? I have opened it but I just don't konw what to do with it?
MIDI Control Center should be called "Arturia Hardware Configurator" or something like that :)

+1

If everything is working fine with your controller(s), then you can ignore it.

It's good to have a good working knowledge of it. I'm always in there, I have lists and lists of set ups. Particularly with the soft synths as standalone. I create a new patch in the MCC, usually starting at about Midi CC 20 to get past all the generic stuff, then add Midi CC's from there.

I then save that calling it Mg Osc or something. I then open up the Mini V and on the top right you have a midi tab with a drop down, I add a new config calling it the same as the preset in MCC. I then map my oscillators etc, creating a map. I have many different maps and MCC presets set up for different controllers, it's very useful. certainly better than using a mouse.

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7