May 05, 2024, 08:48:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi File Import/export  (Read 230 times)

emanuelbotelho

Midi File Import/export
« on: January 20, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
Hi! Sometime ago I messed up while saving and recalling templates from my DB on MCC. I ended up losing some patterns (nothing tragic), but luckily most of them were also saved in an Ableton Live clip session. I ended up playing those clips and recording on the DB in real time to get those patterns back into the DB memory, but it got me thinking that being able to import/export midi files would be very useful. Especially if it was simple and intuitive: just drag & drop to import individual midi files to pattern slots, and an "export" button, perhaps somewhere in the empty area to the right of the "Randomness" parameter, to save each pattern individually as a midi file. I know MCC already allows backing up patterns to different templates and switching between them but I would prefer to have my own separate midi pattern backup folder, organised according to my own logic, rather than using the template system in MCC. I find it a bit confusing to be honest, and that confusion played a part in me erasing all patterns. I still don't know what I did wrong, I thought I'd successfully saved & exported the template with all my local memory patterns, and to test it I recalled an empty template, verified that the local memory had been wiped, and then I imported the one I had just saved, and for some reason that one was empty as well.

Which brings me to another suggestion: MCC could really use an undo option, and maybe an action log like you have in Adobe software, allowing you to revert to specific settings in the action timeline. Not sure how complex that would be, but at least for any actions that change the local bank/pattern memory, an undo option, even for the last action only, would be a very useful feature.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:38:28 pm by emanuelbotelho »

PunkFunk

Re: Midi File Import/export
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:16:28 pm »
Second this. Being able to save my DB-I patterns as a general MIDI file would make me feel better about long-term preservation.  Though it seems many DAW-type softwares are not doing as much with MIDI files as they used to.  I've used a DAW with MIDI for 25+ years (though I am now mostly hardware focused).  Many of my old MIDI files almost seem useless now.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines