May 18, 2024, 04:54:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Oscillators are relatively Quiet - Additional Oscillator Volume Gain  (Read 502 times)

SentientMachine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Something I've noticed is that when I compare a basic Saw waveform in the different oscillator types such as Basic Waves, VirtualAnalog, and SawX, the difference in volume can vary up to almost 5dB for the same type of waveform. Because of this I've ended up almost always using the VirtualAnalog or SawX for my basic saws simply because they have more gain and feel more present and the Basic Waves oscillator is much quieter by comparison.

It'd be nice if there was a setting to get additional headroom to bring up the oscillators in volume more pre-filter so there's more flexibility to balance the types against each other at a competitively high level. I know you can always adjust the preset volume at the end +6dB, but even with the +6dB the raw oscillators are pretty conservatively quiet which is apparent when using Minifreak V and comparing its volume to other soft-synths. tldr; I've ended up relying a lot on the MultiComp and Distortion FX to act as a gain boost, when in a lot of situations I'd just rather the oscillators output at a higher volume so I can save my FX slots for more creative uses.

Riemac

Re: Oscillators are relatively Quiet - Additional Oscillator Volume Gain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:25:15 pm »
I've noticed this aswell. The maximum loudness of Minifreak V is a lot quiter than Pigments or other VST's.
I can understand, that gainstaging in the hardware is a thing, but at least the VST should have the option to reach a normal loudness level. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines