May 22, 2024, 01:14:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Fixed Velocity?  (Read 1079 times)

bcab17

• Apprentice
Fixed Velocity?
« on: December 01, 2021, 08:13:21 pm »
This is a pre-purchase question. Can the velocity be fixed to a specified value for the keys? Same question for the pads.

LBH

Re: Fixed Velocity?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 05:34:42 pm »
Hi,

I don't think there is fixed velocity settings.
I don't know how many controllers of newer sate, that have that option anymore.
Many hosts have options to do this, in the cases where you need it.

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 06:07:08 pm »
Hi,

I don't think there is fixed velocity settings.
I don't know how many controllers of newer sate, that have that option anymore.
Many hosts have options to do this, in the cases where you need it.

The Keylab MKII has a fixed velocity option for the pads, but there is none for the keys. However, there is a "Custom Velocity" option for the keys:
Custom Velocity Curve: Here you can select from preset velocity curves or use the following
5 parameters to define a Custom Velocity Curve:

• Min Velocity: This is the value sent when playing the keyboard as soft as possible
and defaults to a value of 1.
• Piano Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 12.
• Mezzo Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 42.
• Forte Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 95.
• Max Velocity: This is the level sent when playing the keyboard as hard as
possible and its default value is 127 .

I'm questioning if the above default values can be changed to ANY value. If yes, then they could all be set to the same value to create a "fixed" velocity.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 08:53:26 pm »
Hi again.

Yes it look like the Keylab have been given a custom Velocity curve setting scheme for the keys. And fixed velocity settings for pads. Did'nt know that.
I would think, that if you set all the 5 global/ custom velocity settings that make a velocity curve to the same value, then that vould work like a fixed velocity to the value you set. The manual say each point can be set to the range 1-127.

But you can ask Arturia support/ sale.

FYI: Also keep in mind, that velocity impact on a sound also can be part of a sounddesign.
Many sounds is'nt set to use velocity at all. Some is only set to use a little range. Some may be set to use different velocity ranges for different parameters.
Some applications also have options to set velocity curves as part of the sound design. In example Piano V2 and Pigments 3.
This does'nt rule out the need to set velocity curves for a controller to match your playing. But perhaps this info might help you anyway.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:01:33 pm by LBH »

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 05:29:42 am »
Hi again.

Yes it look like the Keylab have been given a custom Velocity curve setting scheme for the keys. And fixed velocity settings for pads. Did'nt know that.
I would think, that if you set all the 5 global/ custom velocity settings that make a velocity curve to the same value, then that vould work like a fixed velocity to the value you set. The manual say each point can be set to the range 1-127.

But you can ask Arturia support/ sale.

FYI: Also keep in mind, that velocity impact on a sound also can be part of a sounddesign.
Many sounds is'nt set to use velocity at all. Some is only set to use a little range. Some may be set to use different velocity ranges for different parameters.
Some applications also have options to set velocity curves as part of the sound design. In example Piano V2 and Pigments 3.
This does'nt rule out the need to set velocity curves for a controller to match your playing. But perhaps this info might help you anyway.

Thank you!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines