May 07, 2024, 05:28:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Extra controls on the CS-80's VCF  (Read 3322 times)

Patrice

Extra controls on the CS-80's VCF
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:45:23 am »
Neither the CS-80 nor the CS-80v had a Sustain control on the VCF.
With the new generic envelope of the Origin, there is now one.
Could you explain what the Sustain control of the envelope does when connected to a CS-80 filter module, I mean how does it impact the other controls of the envelope? Is the "far right" the default position (in comparison with the original CS-80)?

With the same modules connected, what is the role of the two slopes parameters: Up and Down? Don't Attack combined with IL (Time) and Decay combined with AL (level) have the same result?

slammah2012

Re: Extra controls on the CS-80's VCF
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:29 am »
The Envelope is not at all like the CS80 envelope...I will explain

The CS80 has 2 level controls for EG Depth of the 2 filters....

IL  0 to -5 and
AL 0 to +5

When you set your HPF and LPF filters, you are doing it at Sustain level...
This allows you to set your filter as you would want to hear it if the note was held down...

IL is and AL is = to the sustain level if set to 0, thus no envelope is heard...

If you raise the "Attack Level" to +5 the attack will start at sustain level, and rise based on attack time to the decay point, where decay or release time will return to the sustain level ... this is an eg that starts and ends at sustain level...

If you Zero the "AL" and move the "Initial Level" to -5 , the attack will start below the sustain level and rise to the sustain level and then release to the lower level...
This is now acting like the Arp AR envelope....

If you +5 the AL and -5 the IL, the attack starts at a lower than sustain to a higher than sustain at the decay point which then decays to the sustain point, and upon release returns to the lower than sustain level creating an ADSR envelope...but keep in mind, the sustain level is fixed to the HPF and LPF cuttoffs....

The reason they built it like this was for speed in building patches... you dont need to go back and forth between the 2 touchy cutoff controllers and the EG levels to set your sustain levels..

with the Current filter EG your sustain level will change if you adjust the eg amount ...
so you wont be able to do the (-5 IL) AR type EG or the  (+5 AL) releases at sustain levels EG

Patrice

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:26:02 pm »
Thanks to your explanations, I better understand the differences between the two kinds of envelopes. (I had overlooked the small EG Amount knob, among others)

Using a down shift of the cutoff of the CS80 filters, one can compensate the lack of IL + AL, using the correspondence :
 CS80 IL+AL --> Origin's EG Amount
 CS80 IL/(IL+AL) --> Origin's EG Sustain
It's rather tricky, but it works as expected. However, I'll be glad when the CS80 template comes!

What is written on page 17 of the Origin's manual "IL and AL can be controlled by the Predecay's Time and Level knobs" is presumably wrong. So, the role of the Predecay controls remains unclear to me so far.

As for the Slope (Up and Down), my opinion is that it controls the shape of the slope (bent up or down instead of the default linear progression).

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:09:31 pm »
What is written on page 17 of the Origin's manual "IL and AL can be controlled by the Predecay's Time and Level knobs" is presumably wrong. So, the role of the Predecay controls remains unclear to me so far.

Pre-decay controls come from the Mg Modular envelope. They add in fact an additional segment between the end of the attack and the beginning of the decay. And yes, they are not exact equivalent of CS80 IL and AL settings.

As for the Slope (Up and Down), my opinion is that it controls the shape of the slope (bent up or down instead of the default linear progression).

Yes you're - almost - right  ;) Slope settings are there to modify the curbature of the Attack segment (UP slope) and Pre-Decay, Decay and Release segments (DOWN slope). The only difference with what you assume is that the default (half way knob) gives an exponential curves (evolving more or less rapidly depending on the slope setting) and that you get a linear progression when the slope is turned fully clockwise.
In other words, with the same segment time you get a sharper Attack (Release...) with the slope knob turned anti-clockwise, and a smoother with the slope knob turned clockwise.
Origin Lead  Developer

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines