May 17, 2024, 01:01:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Tempo hitching when changing drum patterns  (Read 1337 times)

jasonvezina

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Tempo hitching when changing drum patterns
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:09:36 pm »
Last night I came across an issue that I just can't figure out.

If I play a drum pattern on the BSP the tempo is consistent and everything is great. When I change the drum pattern the first note on the second pattern comes in a little bit late, it almost sounds as if there's some swing to it. If I leave the pattern playing indefinitely the tempo is still good. I change to another pattern, it hitches on the first note.

The difference is a bit subtle, I wasn't sure if I was imagining it so I made a recording and threw it in Ableton to have a look at it.

This image shows two separate recordings of drums from the BSP. Both are playing a single pattern with no changes at 114 BPM. They align perfectly and continue to align throughout the entire recording. Everything sounds great.

This image shows what happens when comparing with a recording where the pattern has been changed back and forth a few times. The top is the BSP where the pattern has not been changed, the bottom is after a pattern change. As you can see the sound (a kick in this case) is triggered just a little bit later.

The overall tempo seems to be fine, it's not like it all goes out of sync. It just seems to be that first note that it's struggling with.

I've posted an audio recording here as well. The first 30 seconds is without changing the pattern. The second half I'm switching back and forth between two patterns (that are almost identical).

This effect is subtle but maddening, and I can't figure it out. I've had this unit for about three months and this just seemed to start last night. Does anyone have a guess as to what's going on here? I was in MCC last night changing pad assignments, so it's possible I inadvertently hit a switch somewhere that has this side effect, I dunno...

Edit: For additional context I'm sending the drum patterns to a Korg Microsampler via MIDI. Sync is set to internal, it's not connected to a computer (the Ableton stuff was after the fact).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:20:19 pm by jasonvezina »

jasonvezina

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tempo hitching when changing drum patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:37:26 pm »
Just curious but has anyone else noticed this with their unit? I'm wondering if this is something universal to all BSPs or something specific to mine.

I entered a ticket with support a few days ago, hopefully someone from Arturia gets back to me...

jasonvezina

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tempo hitching when changing drum patterns
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:22:45 pm »
Good news, I got an email back from Arturia support this morning:

"Hello.

A new firmware will be released this week if everything goes well.

This issue is fixed in this update.

Best Regards"

Fingers crossed!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines